‘Black drinking water’ at ₹100 a bottle – a 30-year old Gujarati realtor’s new business idea for India's healthy brigade
Evocus Facebook page
- AV Organics, a startup based out of Vadodara, has a new product called
Evocuswhich is a black coloured drinking water. Black alkaline wateris a popular concept abroad but is still in its infant stages in India.
- The alternative to water is high in nutrients and has multiple health benefits that are yet to be fully proven.
Vaghela set up a startup
Alkaline water has a pH level more than 7. Even though it’s not been proven yet, it is reported to have many benefits – it has over 70 minerals with high pH level – like better metabolism and digestion, faster absorption of oxygen, detoxification, and many more.
AdvertisementHowever, in India, it costs ₹100 a bottle, which can be considered a steep price for water. So, it’s expensive and less known. Vaghela is not putting all his eggs in this basket. He also runs his own real estate company in Vadodara.
Fade to black
As he jumped into the business of
That’s when a US-based Dr. Norbert Chirase, who holds a PhD in Nutrition from Texas A&M University, came to the rescue, providing scientific knowhow and technical expertise for product development. “Now, we source the minerals from the US and then at our manufacturing facility in Vadodara, we use these minerals to enrich the water. They hold the alkalinity of the water for over 12 months,” Vaghela said.
Evocus – Labeled as a ‘nutrient water’ – is currently available in Pune (100 stores), Chandigarh (40), and Ahmedabad as well as on Amazon.
Long way to go
However, there is no awareness regarding alkaline water in India, so Vaghela has to build his brand as well as the product category.
But he isn’t paying for expensive hoardings or television ads. Instead, online influencers get the increasingly health-conscious Indians, who can afford to pay 100 bucks a bottle, to look at black alkaline water.
The premium water market is increasing in India with big brands like Coca Cola too entering the space.
- NASSCOM says Budget 2021 should ensure ESOPs are taxed only when shares are sold
- Asian Paints profit jumps 62% led by a powerful performance in the decorative paint segment
- How to apply for Home First Finance Company IPO
- Cryptocurrency startup BuyUcoin hacked, data of over 3 lakh users leaked
- Microsoft Surface Laptop Go with 10th gen Intel Core i5 processor launched starting at ₹63,499