‘Black drinking water’ at ₹100 a bottle – a 30-year old Gujarati realtor’s new business idea for India's healthy brigade
Evocus Facebook page
- AV Organics, a startup based out of Vadodara, has a new product called
Evocuswhich is a black coloured drinking water. Black alkaline wateris a popular concept abroad but is still in its infant stages in India.
- The alternative to water is high in nutrients and has multiple health benefits that are yet to be fully proven.
Vaghela set up a startup
Alkaline water has a pH level more than 7. Even though it’s not been proven yet, it is reported to have many benefits – it has over 70 minerals with high pH level – like better metabolism and digestion, faster absorption of oxygen, detoxification, and many more.
AdvertisementHowever, in India, it costs ₹100 a bottle, which can be considered a steep price for water. So, it’s expensive and less known. Vaghela is not putting all his eggs in this basket. He also runs his own real estate company in Vadodara.
Fade to black
As he jumped into the business of
That’s when a US-based Dr. Norbert Chirase, who holds a PhD in Nutrition from Texas A&M University, came to the rescue, providing scientific knowhow and technical expertise for product development. “Now, we source the minerals from the US and then at our manufacturing facility in Vadodara, we use these minerals to enrich the water. They hold the alkalinity of the water for over 12 months,” Vaghela said.
Evocus – Labeled as a ‘nutrient water’ – is currently available in Pune (100 stores), Chandigarh (40), and Ahmedabad as well as on Amazon.
Long way to go
However, there is no awareness regarding alkaline water in India, so Vaghela has to build his brand as well as the product category.
But he isn’t paying for expensive hoardings or television ads. Instead, online influencers get the increasingly health-conscious Indians, who can afford to pay 100 bucks a bottle, to look at black alkaline water.
The premium water market is increasing in India with big brands like Coca Cola too entering the space.
Popular on BI
- Paras Defence and Space Technologies IPO allotment is tomorrow, IPO was subscribed 304 times
- Bharat Bandh — Checkout what will be open and what will remain closed today
- PVR, Inox, Vodafone Idea, HDFC Bank and other top stocks to watch out for on September 27
- OfBusiness was the only woman led startup that entered the unicorn club this year
- Those who have held these stocks for a decade have only lost money