Here’s why 60% of engineers in the country don’t have a job

Here’s why 60% of engineers in
the country don’t have a job

If the data by to the All India Council for Technical Education is to be believed, it’s only 40% of engineers graduating fresh every year land up in a job. For the rest 60% of 8 lakh odd students, majority stay unemployed.

The number of students participating in summer internships is not more than 1% and just 15% of engineering programmes offered by over 3,200 institutions are accredited by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA), as per a news report by The Times of India.

And it’s not just lack of jobs. The poor standard of education in the technical colleges of the country makes these students unemployable. To buck this trend, the ministry of human resource development is planning a major revamp of India's technical education. The strategy involves rolling out the single National Entrance Examination for Technical Institutions from January 2018, linking annual teacher training as a must for approval of the institution, mandatory induction training to enrolled students and annual revision of curriculum, the TOI reports.
Complimentary Tech Event
Transform talent with learning that works
Capability development is critical for businesses who want to push the envelope of innovation.Discover how business leaders are strategizing around building talent capabilities and empowering employee transformation.Know More

A senior official at MHRD told the mainstream newspaper, an admission test to engineering programmes will be conducted by the National Testing Service (NTS), which will be completely computer-based. Qualifying NTS is mandatory to get into engineering.