I struggled with weight for most of my life - but the keto diet is the one thing that finally worked
Foxys Forest Manufacture/Shutterstock
- The keto diet recommends foods high in fat, moderate protein, and low carbohydrates.
- Having struggled with weight and weight-related health problems the majority of her life, author Jennifer Still was looking to shed some pounds and restore her health with the keto diet.
- After four years, the keto diet has not only helped Still lose weight, but it also changed her life in a variety of ways - here's how.
I've struggled with my weight for the majority of my life. About four years ago, I was looking to make a permanent change that would not only help me shed pounds but also restore my health without being unsustainable, harmful, or faddish. That's when I first discovered the ketogenic - or "keto" - diet, which prescribes a diet of high fat, moderate protein, and extremely low carbohydrate foods.
While it comes with its fair share of challenges - and I've definitely fallen off the wagon many times since that fateful day- the ketogenic diet is one of the healthiest and sustainable ways of eating I've ever tried. As an added bonus, I've shed over 50 pounds.
While it won't be right for everyone, I truly feel that the keto diet is a great choice not only for those who are significantly overweight, but also for anyone who's looking to simplify and streamline their diet with real, tasty foods.
After four years strong on the keto diet, here's how it changed my life.
1. I finally broke my addiction to sugar
2. I started eating really, really good food
3. I actually found a diet I could stick to for the first time in my life
4. I met some amazing people in the same boat
5. I became inspired to learn more about nutrition
6. I lowered my blood sugar and blood pressure to normal levels
7. My confidence went up and I started to believe in myself
- Which countries are most affected by severe seismic activity? New earthquake metric provides fresh perspective
- Exicom Tele-Systems to raise ₹429 cr via IPO; sets price band at ₹135-142/share
- Kawasaki Ninja 500 sports bike launched in India at ₹5.24 lakh
- Vodafone Idea board to meet on Feb 27 to consider fundraising proposal
- Stocks rebound: Sensex jumps over 500 points, Nifty hits fresh high