These core subjects are the biggest winners in IIT-Delhi's record campus placement season
- IIT Delhi breaks its 10 years’ placement record, fetching over 1,000 placements during the current placement season.
- Domains including electrical, chemical, civil and mechanical engineering bagged most offers in the technology sector.
- The institute saw a 15% increase in the number of companies visiting the campus.
And the top-most core subjects — bagging over 32% of offers — included electrical, chemical, civil and mechanical engineering followed by information technology. IT graduates secured 20% of the total offers rolled out by the employers.
While analytics, management, finance, consulting and research fields secure the highest and most placements from India’s B-schools, the category bagged rest of the offers during the current placement season at IIT.
However, the IIT did not disclose the salary packages offered by employers, saying that may be "devaluing national placements over international placements as well as core jobs over finance and consulting jobs."
Eyeing the global demand for skills in technology sectors and analytics, IT majors including Capgemini and Wipro have been stepping up hiring a large chunk of talent from Indian engineering campuses. Capgemini has reportedly been planning to hire over 10,000 fresh graduates via campus placements, extending quarterly promotions to freshers.
While the homegrown IT multinational Wipro is prioritising digital expertise at campus hirings with a plan to double fresh hirings.
Given high demand for AI skills, IITs are also rolling out certificate courses and degrees in AI along with machine learning, starting next academic session.
The rise in automation and related skills has led to increased demand in the Artificial Intelligence. Hence, to bridge the gap, IIT has also introduced B.Tech in Artificial Intelligence along with other certification courses in machine learning, starting next academic session.
Overall, as the IIT Delhi institute witnessed an upsurge of 15% in the number of companies visiting for campus placements, it scored over 1,000 offers from Indian as well as overseas employers. This included pre-placement offers allowing students to intern before going onboard with a company.
The Delhi campus of Indian Institute of Technology has also been ranked among the top 100 institutions in the Global University Employability Ranking for the year 2018.
French IT major Capgemini wants to hire senior talent team from India for global markets, boost campus placements
India’s B-schools are seeing higher salary packages for graduates — and it’s not just IIMs
These 5 sectors are the only ones projected to see double digit salary hikes this year
- Sebi penalises two persons in WhatsApp leak case
- Rupee settles 8 paise higher at 75.54 against US dollar
- 'Micro-containment zones' set up in Ahmedabad to curb COVID-19
- ISRO congratulates Elon Musk’s SpaceX and NASA on a ‘historical first launch’ of human spaceflight
- Haryana is now open for business, no pass needed for travel – but containment zones will remain sealed