India has seen 181 incidents of airline pilots failing alcohol tests in the past 3 years
- 181 pilots of scheduled and non-scheduled operators in
Indiawere reported drunk in the alcohol test between 2015 and 2018.
- India’s civil aviation minister Jayant Sinha said 43 pilots were found to have consumed alcohol during the tests in 2015.
- In 2018 alone the number of such cases was 49.
As many as 181 pilots of scheduled and non-scheduled airline operators failed alcohol tests between 2015 and 2018, Economic Times reported, citing India’s civil aviation ministry.
Speaking about the number of such cases, where the test results showed ‘positive’, the Civil Aviation Minister Jayant Sinha said 43 pilots were found drunk in 2015 while the number of pilots who failed the test in 2016 stood at 44.
There was certainly no drop in such cases in the next two years. In 2017 and 2018, the number of cases reported was 45 and 49 respectively.
Delhi and Mumbai, which are also the prime cities to board flights in India, lead the list of cases where pilots have failed in alcohol test, reported India Today citing an RTI filed by an Indian media house. Both the cities have reported 18 cases each. The second in the list was Chennai followed by Bengaluru.
Indian airlines have been struggling with unethical behaviour of pilots in India.
Recently, The Directorate General of Aviation cancelled the license of Air India Captain, Arvind Kathpalia for three years since he failed the breath analyser test.
Two Air India pilots fail breath analyser test before international flights
India’s consumer court has begun cracking down on budget airlines denying boarding to passengers
Indian airports may soon replace security dogs with ‘robotic canines’ that can sniff out bombs and use X-ray vision to scan luggage
Popular on BI
- An overlooked group of borrowers will be hit hard as student loan repayments resume, former Fed economist says
- TikTok's strategy for US dominance is straight out of Amazon's playbook — but creators are the fuel for its flywheel
- Robin Williams' daughter says she finds AI recreations of her father's voice 'personally disturbing'
- Survey shows people find no improvement in public toilets across country
- Sebi extends deadline for listed cos to confirm or deny market rumours
- Tom Hanks, a dental plan promotion and an AI
- New 'inverse vaccine' shows potential to treat multiple sclerosis, diabetes: Study
- TDP leaders stage hunger strike In Delhi against arrest of Chandrababu Naidu