Deltacron – All you need to know about the new variant
- A new strain of COVID-19 that combines features of the Delta and
Omicronnamed Deltacron variants has been found in Cyprus.
- As per media reports, 25 cases of
Deltracronhave been found in Cyprus.
- However, the World Health Organization (WHO) has not yet recognised the new variant.
What is the new virus ‘Deltacron’ all about?
Bloomberg reported that a new strain of COVID-19 that combines features of the Delta and Omicron named Deltacron variants has been found in Cyprus. The term Deltacron has been coined by Leondios Kostrikis, professor of biological sciences at the University of Cyprus and head of the Laboratory of Biotechnology and Molecular Virology.
Cases of Deltacron
As per media reports, 25 cases of Deltracron have been found in Cyprus. "We will see in the future if this strain is more pathological or more contagious or if it will prevail," said Kostrikis in an interview.
Reports say that Deltacron is higher among patients hospitalised due to COVID-19 as compared to non-hospitalised patients.
Not much to worry about
Note that the World Health Organization (WHO) has not yet recognised the new variant yet.
Virologist Tom Peacock said on Twitter that Deltacron may not be an actual variant, but possibly a result of contamination.
Reportedly Sunit K Singh, virologist and professor at Institute of Medical Sciences at Banaras Hindu University also indicated that Deltacron might not be very alarming. “It is in the nature of an RNA virus such as SARS-CoV-2, especially of a respiratory nature, to mutate. While we may find many mutations, its recombinant forms need to be processed. In public health, not every mutation is alarming,” he said.
Just to add to this thread as there's further similar reports... True recombinants don't tend to appear until a few weeks/months after there's been substancial co-circulation - we're only a couple of weeks into Omicron - I really doubt there are any prevelent recombinants yet...— Tom Peacock (@PeacockFlu) December 28, 2021
SEE ALSO: India starts precautionary dose for population above 60 with comorbidities — All you need to know
Parliamentary standing committee meetings cancelled after 400 staffers test COVID-19 positive
India’s daily COVID-19 cases 12.5% higher than yesterday, Omicron tally reaches 4,033
- Fuel your brain: 7 Foods to enhance mental sharpness during exam time
- I'm still the CEO, management remains unchanged: Byju Raveendran
- As many as 275 cases of rape in custody registered from 2017-22: NCRB
- Monthly household consumer spending more than doubled in last decade
- Billionaires to Bollywood: All invited to Anant Ambani's pre-wedding festivities