PM Modi’s new “Air India One” will have advanced defence systems— that and other features of the aircraft
- The new aircraft will be used to fly Prime Minister and President of India and other top Indian dignitaries.
- The new
Boeing 777-300ERsare being fitted with advanced defence systems and will be operated by the IAF pilots, according to reports.
- The Indian government has opted for the state-of-the-art missile defence systems called Large Aircraft Infrared Countermeasures (LAIRCM) and Self-Protection Suites (SPS) to be fitted into the aircraft.
AdvertisementIndia is set to receive two wide-bodied Boeing 777-300ERs to serve as “Air India One.” The new aircraft will be used to fly Prime Minister and President of India and other top Indian dignitaries from July, this year.
The highly customised Boeing 777-300ERs will be the replacement to the current
IAF pilot to be on the driver seat
The new Boeing 777-300ERs are being fitted with advanced defence systems and will be operated by the IAF pilots, according to reports. Traditionally, the 747 fleets of Air India were flown by the most senior pilots of the flag carrier.
The new B-777 planes are being sourced from US-based Boeing company and will cost around ₹1200 crore to India.
The aircraft outstands the current aircraft used by the US president— which is regarded as one of the safest planes. The US has two identical aircrafts named
The new aircraft of the Indian dignitaries will have advanced defence systems similar to Air Force One. According to reports, the new plane will have military defence systems and a reconfigured cabin. For the security of its diplomatic dignitaries, the Indian government has opted for the state-of-the-art missile defence systems called Large Aircraft Infrared Countermeasures (LAIRCM) and Self-Protection Suites (SPS) to be fitted into the aircraft.
The Air Force One of the US is also equipped with advanced secure communications equipment and allows the aircraft to function as a mobile command centre if an attack happens on the United States.
Capabilities to fend off an attack
The new Indian aircraft for the President and Prime Minister will feature Advanced Electronic Warfare Suites. These suites will enable the plane to not only fend off an attack but also take countermeasures in case of an attack. The new aircraft will be the first Indian aircraft which will be equipped with SPS (self-protection suites), which can effectively jam enemy radar frequencies and divert heat-seeking missiles.
AdvertisementSimilar to the Air Force One planes the new aircraft have unlimited range and can travel around the world in one go. The plane will also be capable of mid-air refuelling in case of an emergency.
Twin GE90-115 engines vs GE CF6-80C2B1 engines
Air Force One, also known as ‘flying Oval office’ has four General Electric CF6-80C2B1 jet engines on each plane, which provide 56,700 pounds of thrust a piece. The top speed for Air Force One is between 630 and 700 miles per hour at a maximum height of 45,100 feet.
However, the new Air India one will have twin GE90-115 engines, a variant of the engine made for the -300ER and can fly at 559.33 miles per hour.
SEE ALSO: The $6 billion Wadia family’s plan to shed stake in Britannia has the 150-year old Bombay Burmah up and running
Checkout how President Trump’s plane stands out from Narendra Modi’s official aircraft
IndiGo reports a net loss of ₹1,750 crore after domestic air passenger dips and costs continue to pile up
Popular on BI
- We asked ChatGPT who the greatest athlete of all time is and it did not go well for LeBron James
- A man kept the same pair of contact lenses in for 3 years, causing permanent astigmatism and buildup behind his eyelids. His doctor said he's not responsible enough to wear contacts.
- Clarence Thomas wrote a scathing, nearly 50-page dissent about why the Supreme Court should have gutted voting rights
- JioTag — A pocket-friendly alternative to Apple AirTag for finding your lost belongings
- Realme 11 Pro Plus vs Redmi Note 12 Pro Plus – the under ₹30,000 phone to buy
- How Tata Communications plans to chart its financial turnaround
- Railway jobs: 12,000 recruited under 'Rozgar Mela' initiative
- List of famous things to buy in Goa