Coronavirus cases in India can rise 230,000 in a month, and 1.3 million by May: Report
- By May 15, India can report anywhere between 97,000 and 1.3 million Coronavirus cases says a US-based study.
- The first 50 cases in India were reported over a span of forty days but the cases doubled to hundred in a week. Moreover, it took only five more days to reach the 200 mark.
- India’s crippling healthcare system might not be able to handle Coronavirus cases in large numbers.
- As of March 17, here were 15,980 isolation beds and 37,326 quarantine beds available in India.
“By May 15, we estimate anywhere between 97,000 to 1.3 million people may be infected across India,” said Bhramar Mukherjee, chair of biostatistics at the University of Michigan School of Public.
The study was conducted by 13 academicians including a professor from Delhi School of Economics. It projected these estimates based on cases reported till March 22. The aassements is based on the daily case data managed by Johns Hopkins University Center for Systems Science and Engineering.
In the last few weeks, India witnessed an exponential rise in confirmed cases. The first 50 cases in India were reported over a span of forty days but they doubled to hundred in a week. Moreover, it took only five more days to reach the 200 mark. Currently, there are over 500 people who tested positive.
Thousands of cases against very few beds available
India’s crippling healthcare system might not be able to handle these cases in large numbers.
“The predicted spike in cases will make it impossible for healthcare providers to support the sheer volume of cases. India has the most overstretched healthcare system where it is hard to provide care in times of normal patient volume,” the report said.
Source: World Bank
|Country||Beds per 1000 people|
As of March 17, there were 15,980 isolation beds and 37,326 quarantine beds available in India. In other words, there is only one isolation bed per 84,000 people and one quarantine per 36,000 Indians. Moreover, there is only one doctor per 11,600 Indian and one hospital bed per 1,826, said a data collection by the Union Health Ministry.
The situation makes it worse for doctors and nurses who also lack personal protective equipment.
Build hospitals just like in China
The trend, however, will depend on how aggressively the government takes steps to fight the pandemic. According to the report, India should increase testing so that all the number of positive cases can be taken into account. Moreover it should also immediately start working on creating more healthcare facilities — just like China.
On March 24, Indian government instructed all the state governments to fund more quarantines and set up hospitals.
India can double coronavirus test kits to 200,000 in a week, thanks to Pune-based Mylabs
The third stage of coronavirus spread in India can be delayed but not stopped, says ICMR
Popular on BI
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- Durjoy Datta tweets about Paytm UPI LITE making payments faster and easier, fellow author Ravinder Singh responds
- A former Twitter engineer said they watched colleagues 'drop like flies' from a virtual meeting during Elon Musk's mass layoffs
- Best water purifiers to buy in India 2023
- Desk-bombing, monk mode & other emerging trends at the workplace
- Crypto exchange Binance temporarily suspends all spot trading
- Samsung unveils Galaxy F14 5G with 6000 mAh battery in India
- Haircut on cases resolved through IBC not very encouraging, says Kotak report