In Pics: Thousands of Indians queue up outside liquor shops ignoring need for social distancing
- The Indian government allowed standalone
liquor shopsto operate between 7 am to 7 pm after the relaxation of guidelines for Lockdown 3.0.
- Long queues were seen outside liquor shops across India, some from as early as 7 am.
- The alcohol industry lost about ₹28,000 crore in sales during the lockdown.
The Indian government allowed standalone liquor shops to operate between 7 am to 7 pm after the relaxation of guidelines for Lockdown 3.0. And the excitement for this announcement was running high across the country.
Long queues were seen outside liquor shops across India, some from as early as 7 am as people went to stock up their alcohol before shops ran out of it because of the huge demand.
It's all (#CoronavirusPandemic) going to downhill from here. The line for the theka (government wine and beer sho… https://t.co/fQTNbjG2n3— Sahil Bhalla (@IMSahilBhalla) 1588567245000
“People are worried for how long this lockdown is going to continue and till when liquor shops are going to open and so they want to stock up as much as possible,” said an IT professional based out of Bengaluru, who added that the traffic today in the city seemed like nothing had happened before.
People also took to Twitter to share such photos of queues.
Standalone Liquor shops to open today. Queues start from 7 am #Bengaluru https://t.co/ThLHjtVIgH— BG Mahesh (@bgmahesh) 1588562471000
#Bilaspur #Chhattisgarh liquor shop https://t.co/c9KhiaotFg— Dipanshu Kabra (@ipskabra) 1588565085000
On Sunday night, WhatsApp groups shared links and details about possible liquor stores that will be open in their area.
However, while the majority of these stores practiced
In Delhi’s Malviya Nagar, the police was brought in after people were seen flouting social distancing rules. Some liquor stores shut down again after police intervention.
Even in Chhattisgarh, social distancing didn’t seem to be a priority.
Chhattisgarh: Social distancing norms being flouted as people in large numbers queue outside a liquor shop in Rajna… https://t.co/8d2CAIqlib— ANI (@ANI) 1588569258000
Reliance Jio’s valuation jumps more than half a billion dollars in just 12 days, thanks to Silver Lake
- Vivo S7t to come with Dimensity 820 processor soon, reveals report
- CBSE restructures affiliation system; process to be completely digital with least human intervention
- Chile jolted with two earthquakes, reports no casualties or damages
- One million COVID-19 vaccine doses administered in India in just six days, says Health Ministry
- Google Drive becomes a goldmine for pirated, explicit content