Prime Minister Narendra Modi tells 1.3 billion Indians to impose a symbolic 'janata curfew' on March 22
- The pandemic has endangered entire mankind and is more damaging than the World Wars, Modi said in his special address to the nation.
- Modi called for people's determination and patience in a bid to stop the spread of the deadly coronavirus.
Janata Curfew' is a unique proposal for a lockdown to be implemented and supervised by citizens. People engaged in essential services can continue with their work.
AdvertisementThe covid-19 coronavirus pandemic has endangered entire mankind, Indian Prime Minsiter Narendra Modi said in his special address to the nation as he called for 'Janata Curfew', a unique proposal for a voluntary lockdown to be implemented and supervised by citizens. People engaged in essential services can continue with their work.
While Modi has asked for this 'janata curfew' on March 22 (Sunday) but he also hinted that this may be extended if necessary. "I want a few weeks of my citizens' time," Modi said before revealing his proposal. What was missing from the Prime Minister's speech was a clear plan on how the government intends to increase the scale of screening, testing, and detecting those who are infected.
This is because people at large did not adhere to required standards of social distancing that is needed to curb the pandemic. “Don’t be content that we have escaped the global pandemic and not be assured that all is well. We should all be alert and aware,” he said.
The following are the other highlights of Modi's commentary on coronavirus:
"Till now, science has no decisive solution or a vaccine to deal with the coronavirus pandemic. In such a situation, it is natural for people to get worried."
"The epidemic seems to suddenly explode in all the countries that it has spread to. One cannot take this lightly, every Indian has to be alert,"
"Avoid leaving home unless it is extremely necessarily. Senior citizens above 60 to not leave home at all."
"In a country like India, with its population of over 1.3 billion, which is striving for development this is not small challenge."
"People of India must work with determination and patience. People must perform their duties as citizens, and follow the rules and guidelines set by both state and central governments."
"Social distancing is necessity in times like this. People have to keep themselves protected and protect others too."
"On Sunday, March 22, people should stand on their balconies, windows etc. to thank people in essential services like medical professionals, media, transport, home delivery, police, other key public services."
"Modi also sought the doctors to postpone regular check-ups and surgeries that can be delayed, if possible by a month."
"The government has set up a special taskforce to decide on the response to mitigate the economic impact of the coronavirus pandemic. The taskforce will regularly consult all stakeholders and take decisions as appropriate."
"The supply of essential commodities will never be stopped, and therefore, people should not resort to 'panic buying'."
Modi also appealed to businessmen and high net-worth individuals to deal with employees ho are not able to get to work with compassion.
Here's a visual guide to the progression of coronavirus in India
Important facts Prime Minister Narendra Modi must consider before his address to the nation
Rupee records a new low, trading at ₹75 against dollar for the first time
An Indian’s shopping guide during the coronavirus pandemic
AdvertisementFlipkart delivery workers to get leave with full pay if quarantined
Popular on BI
- 'Texting between iPhone and Android is broken:' Google puts Apple on blast for converting Android texts to green bubbles and 'blurry' compressed videos
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 beta arrives next month – here’s how to get early access
- Indian diamantaires want to make lab-grown diamonds a woman’s best friend
- OPINION: World Biofuel Day — Can biofuel help sustainably meet the growing energy needs of India?
- Kotak Mahindra rolls out a lifestyle focused salary account
- Trading on Indian crypto exchange WazirX drops by over 55%, WRX token loses sheen
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4, Z Flip 4, Watch 5 series, and Buds 2 Pro launched: Check price, specifications and photos
- Will Aamir Khan’s Laal Singh Chaddha be the box of chocolates Bollywood is waiting for?