What is lockdown meaning and what to expect from it
- As the coronavirus crisis deepens across the world, countries are using lockdown as one of the prime quarantine strategies to control the spread.
- A lockdown happens during different kinds of emergencies and it disrupts normal life.
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced a nationwide lockdown from 7 am to 9 pm on March 22, 2020. Here is what lockdown means and what to expect from a lockdown declaration and the situation that follows it.
Countries are now trying their best to control the spread of the virus and cure those that are already infected. Partial or full lockdown is one of the prime quarantine strategies adopted by countries to control the exploding infection.
What does a lockdown mean?
AdvertisementA lockdown can be defined as an emergency protocol implemented by the authorities that prevents people from leaving a given area. A full lockdown will mean that the people in the given area must stay where they are and must not exit or enter a building or given area.
A preventive lockdown is a preemptive plan effected to address an unusual situation or weakness in a system to forestall any danger to people, organization or system. The nature of the lockdown protocol ordered at a given time will be based on the type of threat and will feature the required flexibility to handle the situation faced during the times.
PM Narendra Modi announced complete
China was the pioneer in ordering a lockdown situation in Wuhan
Following the alarming rise of coronavirus infection in some regions, China declared a lockdown in Wuhan and several provinces surrounding it. While a number of experts raised their own concerns regarding the effectiveness of this strategy, it seems to have worked.
In two months, the daily number of infections and deaths in China sharply declined, proving that lockdown was effective in Wuhan. Following this, lockdown became a model for other countries to emulate to control the spread of coronavirus.
AdvertisementOn March 9, Italy called for a countrywide lockdown and most of the 62 million Italians confined themselves inside their homes in an attempt to stop the Coronavirus spread. Very soon, Spain and France followed suit.
What to expect from a lockdown
The nature of a lockdown situation depends on the condition that necessitated it. A lockdown usually allows essential supplies, grocery stores, pharmacies and banks to continue to serve the people.
AdvertisementWhile explaining the rules of the lock down announced on March 22, 2020, PM Modi said, "During this curfew, we shall neither leave our homes nor get onto the streets or roam about our localities. This people's curfew will, in a way, be a litmus test for us, for our nation. This is also the time to see and test how prepared India is for fighting off a global pandemic."
See Also -
Delhi Metro complete shut down till March 31
Coronavirus cases in Tamilnadu news and Updates
Popular on BI
- From marketing and tech to leadership - learn new skills and explore new possibilities with these Udemy courses
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Loaded Lion NFT sells for $1 million — three days after launching at $200
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio hikes prices of its plans by 21%
- Facebook, Microsoft and others look towards the $1 trillion dollar ‘metaverse’ opportunity — but that contradicts the base philosophy behind Web 3.0
- Paytm Q2 result — Operational revenue crosses ₹1000 crore, loss widens by ₹37 crore
- These Indian states have the highest number of international airports; UP tops the list
- Centre raises Bengal labour budget for creation of 27 cr man-days