In a first, Indian Army launches a recruitment drive for women soldiers
- The Indian army has started an online registration for recruiting
women in military policeas soldiers.
- The recruitment drive will fill nearly 100 vacancies.
- The women candidates need to qualify a Common Entrance Exam (CEE) post which they will have to appear for the Physical Endurance Test(PET).
Soon after General Bipin Rawat took over the charge as the Army Chief, he raised the matter for approval from the Defence Ministry.
Honouring the announcement made by Hon'ble PM on August 15, 2018, On Jan 18, 2019 MoD took the decision to induct women for the first time in PBOR role in Corps of Military Police. Today, the first advertisement has been issued. pic.twitter.com/nsW2jutCk5— Raksha Mantri (@DefenceMinIndia) April 25, 2019
The recruitment rally will be conducted at Ambala, Lucknow, Jabalpur, Bangalore and Shillong. Once the registration of candidates is over, a cut off list will be generated for further rounds of selection, according to the official notification.
So far the Indian army recruited women only as officers and not as soldiers, making this move significant.
The Indian army has put it out on its official website (joinindianarmy.nic.in.) notifying openings for the post of Soldier General Duty. The application process starts today, and will end on 8 June, 2019.
In order to qualify for the post, the women candidates need to qualify a Common Entrance Exam post which they will have to appear for the Physical Endurance Test(PET).
Information on the complete selection and application procedure here.
Separately, the Defence Ministry has been taking necessary initiatives to boost women empowerment. Recently, the Indian government announced that the women officers can get permanent commissions in the armed forces.
The UAE government is wooing Indian teachers — offering 10 times higher pay than their current
After Air Force, Indian Army open to permanent commissions for women
- Health Ministry launches portal for info on vaccine, clinical trials
- Elon Musk's SpaceX will launch another 60 Starlink internet satellites into Earth’s orbit tonight
- Farmers protest in India intensify — Kerala MP and Punjab CM to move the Supreme Court, three Punjab BJP leaders resign
- Best smartphones with 256GB of internal storage
- Maharashtra’s restaurants and bars are likely to reopen for dine-in services