Indian authorities plan on using Calvin Klein’s Obsession to capture a tigress
- In order to catch a
tigressthat’s been wreaking havoc in the Indian state of Maharashtra, authorities plan on using Calvin Klein’s Obsessionfor men to lure her in.
- The cologne composition includes a pheromone called
civetone, known for attracting mammals in the cat family.
- The tiger has killed 13 people in the two years that it’s evaded capture.
The plan is to track her down using a popular cologne manufactured by Calvin Klein, Obsession for Men. The science is simple. The cologne exudes a pheromone called civetone which is basically a chemical substance produced by animals that affects the behaviour of other animals of its species.
In this case, civetone is derived from a civet, a cat that is often confused for a monkey. It’s actually quite commonly used in other colognes as well.
In the past, the similar experiment was conducted at the Bronx Zoo in New York where the cologne was appreciated by the zoo’s resident jaguars.
The tigress and her two 9-month old cubs roam a 150 sq km
So far, all efforts have proved futile.
Animal activists are concerned that the authorities will end up shooting and killing the animal since the forest officials don’t possess the required expertise.
AK Misra, a forest official in the region, told the BBC that their intention isn’t to shoot, but if the tiger attacks then they’ll have no option but to defend themselves.
That being said, the supreme court of
Right now, officials have a team of 500 men on board to capture the tiger include a number of vets who’ve been equipped with tranquiliser darts. Other tools at their disposal include three cages, nylon and a selection of machines.
The unanswered question remains why is the tigress attacking humans the first place? While
(Representative image; The only images of Avni are captured on the trap cameras put in place by the forest authorities.)
Popular on BI
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- The CEO of software giant Intuit, which has avoided mass layoffs, says tech firms axed jobs because they misread the pandemic
- I flew cross-country with my 5-month-old son on my lap. Next time, I'm paying full price for him to have his own seat.
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala