33-day protest at Howard University alleging unsafe dorm conditions came to an end with a confidential agreement between students and administration

33-day protest at Howard University alleging unsafe dorm conditions came to an end with a confidential agreement between students and administration
Tents are set up near the Blackburn University Center as students protest poor housing condition on the campus of at Howard University.Drew Angerer/Getty Images
  • Howard University students occupied a building on campus and its surroundings in protest.
  • The protest ended on the 34th day; 20 days were dedicated to negotiations.

After a demonstration that was over a month-long, Howard University students finally came to a confidential agreement with the university administration.

On October 12, Howard University students began protesting what they said were unsafe and inhumane dorm conditions including leaky pipes, flooding, and mold and mushroom growth.

"About a month ago, a group of students began the occupation of the Blackburn building," University President Wayne Frederick said in a video statement. "They did so to raise awareness for their concerns about housing issues at the university, as well as other issues that they voiced to me and my administration."

"Protests drive change. I accept and applaud it. I do however struggle with a type of protest that jeopardizes student safety — the very thing students said founded their concerns," Frederick added.

The student organizers demanded the following:


  1. "In-person town hall with President Frederick & Administration scheduled before the end of October.
  2. "Commit (in writing) to Authorizing the HUSA President and GSA Chair to have Voting Power on the Board of Trustees.
  3. "Reinstate ALL Affiliate Trustee Positions ( Students, Faculty, and Alumni) on the Board of Trustees.
  4. "The President and Chairman of the Board Propose a Meeting with Student Leadership Outlining their 'Housing Plan' to protect the incoming classes of Howard's immediate future."

However, the conditions of the agreement between organizers and administration remain unclear.

"While the terms of the agreement, specific terms, are confidential, it can be said without any hesitation or reservation that the students courageously journeyed on a path towards greater university accountability and transparency and public safety," Donald Temple, an attorney who represents the students, said at a Monday press conference.

A post shared by The Live Movement (@_thelivemovement)

"We got what we came for. We got increased scrutiny. We got increased transparency and increased accountability. And by virtue of this protest, we garnered everything that we were entitled to," said Channing Hill, one of the student organizers.

The Live Movement, which co-organized the protest and was founded by one of the student activists, Aniyah Vines, said that this victory is just the beginning. They hope to bring the movement to other HBCUs facing similar issues.

Howard University administration and The Live Movement did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.