6 Capitol Police officers have been suspended and 29 others are being investigated for actions taken during the insurrection
- A total of 35 Capitol
Policeofficers have been investigated over the Capitol insurrection.
- Six of the officers were suspended without pay with week, Capitol Police said.
- Videos circulated online showing some officers smiling with rioters as they stormed the Capitol.
The US Capitol Police Department has suspended six officers and is investigating 29 others for actions taken during the January 6 insurrection, the department said this week.
The department said in a statement that the six officers were suspended with pay and the 29 others were being investigated by the Capitol Police's Office of Professional Responsibility.
"Acting Chief Yogananda Pittman has directed that any member of her department whose behavior is not in keeping with the Department's Rules of Conduct will face appropriate discipline," the department said in a statement to Insider.
Fox 5 DC first reported the investigations on Thursday, and Rep. Tim Ryan, a Democrat from Ohio, previously told CNN that one of the suspended officers took a selfie with a Capitol rioter.
In the days after the insurrection, Capitol Police confirmed it was investigating the actions of several officers, after videos circulated online showing police smiling with rioters and standing by as they stormed the Capitol.
More than 250 people have been charged in connection to the Capitol riot, and dozens of the rioters charged federally have been linked to extremist groups and rhetoric.
The rioters stormed the Capitol after attending a "Stop the Steal" rally in support of then-President
The US Senate acquitted Trump on Saturday of his impeachment charge of inciting the insurrection.
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Best thin and light laptops in India for 2023
- India’s high valuations are justified, says Goldman Sachs citing rise of multibaggers and these other reasons
- Motorola Razr 40 Ultra vs Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 – Who wins the flip phone battle?
- India’s most disastrous train accidents in the past 20 years
- Crude oil prices may hit $100/bbl after OPEC+ decision, say analysts