A 25-foot-tall rubber duck suddenly appeared in a Maine harbor. Residents have no idea why.
- A giant inflatable yellow
duckappeared in a Maineharbor, and it's a mystery how it got there.
- The 25-foot-tall waterbird floated among rowboats and multi-million dollar yachts in
BelfastHarbor in Maine.
- Harbor Master Katherine Given said, despite the unusual nature of the duck, it "kind of fits Belfast."
A giant yellow duck with the word "JOY" emblazoned on the front suddenly appeared in the middle of a harbor in Maine.
Residents said they "have no idea" who owns it.
The 25-foot-tall waterbird floated among rowboats and multi-million dollar yachts in Belfast Harbor in Maine. Belfast Harbor Master Katherine Given said she noticed the duck Saturday morning after someone anchored it in a shallow part of the harbor overnight.
"Everybody loves it," Given said. "I have no idea who owns it, but it kind of fits Belfast. A lot of people want to keep it here."
Given told local
Despite the duck's cumbersome size, the harbor master said it can stay as long as "it's not bothering anybody."
"If it was in the middle of the mooring field, it could be kind of a navigational hazard," Given told the newspaper. "Where it's in the shallow water, it's not bothering anybody."
Local residents and visitors are also fans of keeping the duck around, sharing the "joy" it delivers with friends and family on social media.
"It's something to do, something to see," Elizabeth Dircks, Camden, Maine, told NECN. "I don't live far from here and I'm on my way up to Bar Harbor. I thought I'd make a detour and see if I could find it."
"It certainly is cheery," Susie Dickerson of Portland, Maine, told Bangor Daily News. "It's definitely eye-catching."
Judy Herman, of Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania, called the giant yellow waterfowl "wonderful."
"Who would expect to see a duck in the middle of the water here?" Herman told NECN on Tuesday.
Steve Small, also of Bala Cynwyd, told NECN said the duck's presence gives "sort of a grateful emotion."
"It's sort of a grateful emotion, that somebody has done something a little unusual to make something a little more interesting," he said.
- RANKED: The world's 20 strongest militaries
- I quit buying from Amazon 4 years ago. I get better deals on products elsewhere but still have to use their services.
- Gen Z faces more pressure at work than previous generations because technology has eliminated work-life boundaries, a psychology professor says
- From usernames to secret codes for locked chats, here are the upcoming WhatsApp features
- Coal sector PSUs poised to cross ₹21,030 crore Capex target for 2023-24
- Stock markets snap six-day rally; Sensex slumps over 400 points
- From Lathmar Holi to Jallikattu: India's most unusual festivals
- Orient Technologies files draft papers with Sebi to mop-up funds via IPO