A 9-year-old girl died after drowning during an attempt to cross the Rio Grande River to the US with her family
- A family of three trying to enter the US through the
Rio Grandewas found unconscious by border agents.
- Agents were able to save the mother and her three-year-old child, a news release said.
- However, the mother's 9-year-old daughter died from
drowning, NBC News reported.
A 9-year-old girl died from drowning while trying to get into the US with her family last week, despite medical efforts to save her life.
The family, a mother of Guatemala and her two children from Mexico, were attempting to cross the Rio Grande
Border Patrol agents discovered the family, who was unconscious, "stranded on an island on the Mexican side" of the river, the
During medical recovery efforts, the mother and her three-year-old child "regained consciousness," according to the news release.
"Agents attempted life-saving efforts on the second child, a nine-year-old from Mexico, and transferred care to the Eagle Pass Fire Department's Emergency Medical Services," the news release said. "The child remained unresponsive and was pronounced deceased by medical professionals."
Eagle Pass Fire Department's Lt. Jason Mares told NBC News that the girl's death was "considered a drowning."
"We extend our deepest condolences to the family and friends of this small child," Del Rio Sector Chief Patrol Agent Austin L. Skero II said in the news release. "During these hard times, our agents remain resilient, and I am extremely proud of their efforts to preserve human life."
As Insider previously reported, President Joe Biden's administration has been under pressure trying to tackle the uptick of migrants trying to enter the country along the US-Mexico border.
- Vodafone Idea shares tumble 14%, mcap erodes ₹10,806.7 cr
- National parties declare income of ₹3,077 cr in 2022-23; BJP has highest share
- Human trials may reveal efficacy of new Rs 100 cancer pill: Docs
- Multiplexes' revenue growth to dip to 15% in FY25 as OTTs crimp profit margins
- India's retail sector to more than double to $2 trillion in next decade says BCG report