A 95-year-old woman with dementia has died after being tasered by police in her nursing home
- A 95-year-old woman in Australia has died after being tasered by police in her nursing home.
- Police said Clare Nowland was holding a knife when they entered, and officers tasered her twice.
A 95-year-old woman in Australia had died after she was tasered by police officers in her nursing home in New South Wales.
The New South Wales Police announced on Wednesday that Clare Nowland, a great-grandmother suffering from dementia, had passed away.
"Mrs Nowland passed away peacefully in hospital just after 7pm this evening, surrounded by family and loved ones who have requested privacy during this sad and difficult time," the police said on Facebook.
Assistant Commissioner Peter Cotter told reporters the police were called to the Yallambee Lodge care home in Cooma — around 70 miles south of Canberra — on May 17. They had received reports of a resident holding a knife, per CNN.
When they arrived, officers saw Nowland carrying a walking stick and a knife, per Cotter.
"At the time she was tasered, she was approaching police. It is fair to say at a slow pace. She had a walking frame. But she had a knife," Cotter told reporters.
She was tasered twice, once in the front and once from the back, and was bruised from both sides, a friend of her family, Andrew Thaler, told The Canberra Times.
She spent the past week in the hospital, with her eight children and dozens of grandchildren and great-grandchildren taking turns to be by her side, Thaler told CNN.
"This woman couldn't stand without a walking aid. She's not that strong," Thaler said to CNN, adding that she stood at a height of five feet and weighed only 95 pounds.
Nowland had been a resident of the nursing home for five years before the incident, and was described by a local priest as a "beautiful soul." She was also adventurous, and sky dived at the age of 80 to celebrate her birthday, per The Canberra Times.
The nursing home did not immediately respond to Insider's requests for comment. The police declined to comment.
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- Trump acted like 'the Godfather if it was reenacted by a 5-year-old' to try to keep his hands clean in Mar-a-Lago case: experts
- A complete itinerary for your 3 days in Srinagar
- List of famous things to buy in Munnar
- Ads that sailed into the eye of a controversy
- India tops world ranking in digital payments, records 89.5 million transactions in 2022: MyGovIndia
- Will regulate AI and ensure it doesn't harm digital citizens: Rajeev Chandrasekhar