Brazil's Jair Bolsonaro, who's accused of trying to silence critics on Twitter, says Musk's $44 billion buyout is a 'breath of hope'
Jair Bolsonaromet with Elon Muskon Friday to discuss internet connectivity and the Amazon.
- Brazil's president praised Musk's offer to buy Twitter for $44 billion as a "breath of hope."
Brazil's president, Jair Bolsonaro, has praised Elon Musk's proposed $44 billion buyout of Twitter and said it represents a "breath of hope."
Associated Press first reported the story.
The Brazilian president, who described the billionaire as a "legend of freedom," has previously been accused of trying to silence critics on Twitter by blocking users.
Maria Laura Canineu,
The human rights group added: "This prevents blocked people from participating in public debate, violates their free speech rights, and discriminates against them on the basis of their opinions."
Bolsonaro's office was contacted for comment by Insider.
Bolsonaro and the tech mogul met on Friday in Sao Paulo. The meeting was arranged by Brazil's communications minister, Fábio Faria, with the aim of setting up partnerships with Musk to improve internet access in schools and health facilities in rural areas, AP reported.
Faria hopes Brazil will be able to use technology developed by Musk's
Bolsonaro, an ally of former US President Donald Trump, positioned himself as a champion of free speech and opposed Twitter's ban on individuals including Trump.
In a Facebook video, Bolsonaro said: "We count on Elon Musk so that the Amazon is known by everyone in Brazil and in the world, to show the exuberance of this region, how we are preserving it, and how much harm those who spread lies about this region are doing to us."
He added: "A lot can be done to improve quality of life through technology."
On Friday, Musk tweeted that he was "super excited to be in Brazil for launch of Starlink for 19,000 unconnected schools in rural areas & environmental monitoring of Amazon."
- Here is a list of bank holidays in October 2022
- An Apple executive is leaving the company after being filmed joking about fondling 'big-breasted women' in a viral TikTok video
- Toyota's president said he 'did a little happy dance' after the company dethroned GM to become the bestselling carmaker in the US last year
- PM Modi inaugurates India Mobile Congress, experiences 5G devices being showcased
- Jio will launch 5G for the entire country by December 2023: Mukesh Ambani
- Airtel 5G launched in eight cities, entire country to be covered by 2024
- SEBI tightens disclosure norms for IPOs, brings mutual fund transactions under the gambit of insider trading rules
- Best camera phone under ₹15000
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World