Death of missing California teen Kiely Rodni ruled accidental: police
- A coroner ruled Kiely Rodni's death accidental on Thursday, according to police.
- Rodni, 16, was missing in August for more than two weeks.
A California coroner ruled the death of Kiely Rodni, a 16-year-old who disappeared in August for more than two weeks, an accident on Friday.
A private team of divers recovered Rodni's body on August 22 from Prosser Lake in California. Police initially investigated her disappearance as an abduction.
"This ruling is based on the pathologist's finding that her death was the result of drowning and that there was no other information to suggest she was the victim of foul play," the Nevada County Sheriff's Office said in a statement, according to KTXL.
The Nevada County Sheriff's Office did not immediately return Insider's request for comment on Saturday.
Rodni was last seen after attending a party near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee, California on August 6. Adventures with Purpose, an independent group of divers, later recovered her car and her body from Prosser Lake near the campground.
Sami Smith, Rodni's friend, told CBS Sacramento that she was with Rodni for most of the party at the time of her disappearance and that Rodni was planning on spending the night at the Prosser Family Campground.
"I know that she wasn't in the right mindset or state to drive. And if she were to have driven, she wouldn't have made it far," Smith told CBS Sacramento.
- A top AI researcher reportedly left Google for OpenAI after sharing concerns the company was training Bard on ChatGPT data
- An AI researcher who has been warning about the technology for over 20 years says we should 'shut it all down,' and issue an 'indefinite and worldwide' ban
- What is an indictment? What it means for someone to be indicted by a grand jury and why Trump was charged
- India reports 3,824 new Covid cases
- 77% of young Indians now spend the most on phones, apparels
- Global Pharma recalls 50,000 tubes of contaminated eye drops in US: USFDA
- Former India cricketer Salim Durani passes away aged 88; PM Narendra Modi, Ravi Shastri lead tributes
- India successfully achieves autonomous landing of Space vehicle