During a surprise trip to Kyiv, Nancy Pelosi tells Zelenskyy: 'Our commitment is to be there for you until the fight is done.'
- Nancy Pelosi, in a visit to Kyiv on Saturday, thanked Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy for fighting for freedom.
- "Our commitment is to be there for you until the fight is done," Pelosi told the Ukrainian leader.
During an unannounced visit to Kyiv, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, in a video posted to the Ukrainian leader's Twitter account, thanked President Volodymyr Zelenskyy for fighting for freedom.
"We believe that we are visiting you to say thank you for your fight for freedom, that we are on a frontier of freedom and that your fight is a fight for everyone," Pelosi said in the video. "And so our commitment is to be there for you until the fight is done."
—Володимир Зеленський (@ZelenskyyUa) May 1, 2022
Other US officials, including Rep. Gregory Meeks, Rep. Adam Schiff, Rep. Jim McGovern, and Rep. Jason Crow, joined Pelosi on the unannounced visit to Kyiv.
It is unclear how long the congressional representatives will be in Ukraine.
Rep. Barbara Lee and Rep. Bill Keating did not enter Ukraine, according to a representative for Pelosi's office. They will, however, travel with the delegation to Poland and Warsaw.
In a press release posted early Sunday morning, Speaker Pelosi said: "Our delegation traveled to Kyiv to send an unmistakable and resounding message to the entire world: America stands firmly with Ukraine. Our meeting with President Zelenskyy began with him thanking the United States for the substantial assistance that we have provided."
"He conveyed the clear need for continued security, economic and humanitarian assistance from the United States to address the devastating human toll taken on the Ukrainian people by Putin's diabolic invasion – and our delegation proudly delivered the message that additional American support is on the way, as we work to transform President Biden's strong funding request into a legislative package," Pelosi's statement continued.
"Our delegation conveyed our respect and gratitude to President Zelenskyy for his leadership and our admiration of the Ukrainian people for their courage in the fight against Russia's oppression."
- Bajaj Pulsar NS160, Pulsar NS200 launched in India starting at ₹1.46 lakh
- GPT Healthcare IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- Juniper Hotels shares jump over 10% after flat market debut
- Rupee turns flat at 82.89 against US dollar in early trade
- Stock market indices kick off trading day with stability, witnessing a mix of gains and losses