Elon Musk lost $50 billion in 2 days after Tesla shares plunged 16% - but he's still worth $82 billion more than Jeff Bezos
- Tesla CEO
Elon Muskis now worth $288 billion, according to the Bloomberg BillionairesIndex.
- Musk's $50 billion loss comes on the back of a 16% decline in Tesla's share price this week.
It's only Wednesday, but Tesla CEO Elon Musk has already lost $50 billion this week after shares of Tesla tanked 16% in two days.
The massive losses come on the back of a string of headlines, including tweets from Musk himself and another tweet from a famed short-seller.
According to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index in its latest update, Musk is worth $288 billion after the losses. The $50 billion lost marks the largest two-day decline in the history of the index, according to Bloomberg.
Tesla's share prices fell sharply this week after Musk asked his Twitter followers over the weekend if he should sell 10% of the stock he holds to pay taxes. The results were a resounding yes - causing Tesla share prices to fall as much as 7% on Monday.
Tesla's share prices came under additional pressure on Tuesday - falling as much as 12% - after famed short-seller Michael Burry suggested in a now-deleted tweet that Musk may want to sell his shares to cover his personal debts. Share prices were also hit by
Despite the sharp decline this week, Tesla shares are still up 40% year-to-date - and Musk is still the richest man on earth, leading second-wealthiest man
This article was amended to reflect updated figures from the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. An earlier version put Musk's net worth at $323 billion on Wednesday.
- How India can create opportunities for its new-age farmers
- Akasa Air founder, big bull Rakesh Jhunjhunwala passes at 62
- SIMPLY PUT: What happened before India got Freedom@Midnight
- Here’s how much banks have increased home loan interest rates
- Avatar 2, Black Panther 2, Ant Man — Here is a complete list of Hollywood movies expected to hit Indian theaters in the next 6-7 months