FBI investigating bomb threats against HBCUs as 'hate crimes'
- Dozens of
bombthreats have been made at Historically Black Colleges and Universities across the country.
FBIsays it's investigating the threats as "racially or ethnically motivated."
The Federal Bureau of Investigation is investigating the series of bomb threats made against several Historically Black Colleges and Universities as "racially or ethnically motivated violent extremism and hate crimes," the Bureau told Insider in a Wednesday statement.
On January 31, Delaware State University, Southern University and A&M College in Baton Rouge, Albany State University, Bethune-Cookman University, Howard University, and Bowie State University received threats.
The following day, and the start of Black History Month, Jackson State, Kentucky State, Fort Valley State, Morgan State, Xavier University of Lousiana, Edgar Waters University, Howard University, Alcorn State, Tougaloo College, and Spelman College were threatened.
Bomb threats were also made previously against at least eight HBCUs on January 4.
Many of the universities temporarily closed down their campuses — some holding classes virtually.
The FBI added that some houses of worship have also been threatened, but no explosives have been discovered on any of the campuses or places of worship thus far, according to the FBI.
"The FBI is aware of the series of bomb threats around the country and we are working with our law enforcement partners to address any potential threats," said the FBI said in their statement.
Law enforcement has identified six "tech-savvy" juveniles as persons of interest, according to a report from NBC
- Toyota was right about hybrid cars all along
- The youngest son of Asia's richest man is getting married, and the pre-wedding event features Rihanna, a 9-page dress code, and live animals
- Check out some of the best and most daring looks at Ambani's pre-wedding bash — from Rihanna to Mark Zuckerberg
- Impact of AI on Customer Service
- Bengaluru cafe blast: Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah to chair meeting with top police officials today
- India retains full policy space for benefit of farmers, fishermen at WTO: Goyal
- Sensex, Nifty settle at new closing high levels in first part of special live trading session
- Passive Income Streams