Food prices skyrocket in Pakistan during Ramzan, reeling economic crisis to blame
According to a vendor, the price of chicken has increased to
During a visit to markets in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa's (KP) capital city to check and compare edibles prices with those issued by the district administration, it was discovered that food prices have surged in the holy month, as per the report by Geo News.
In a separate statement, another vendor said that fruit prices have also risen over the last month. Sweet oranges cost PKR 440 per dozen, oranges cost PKR 400 per dozen, bananas cost PKR 300 per dozen, pomegranate costs PKR 400, Iranian apple costs PKR 340 per kg,
Moreover, the skyrocketing prices also impacted the meat market, with beef previously sold for PKR 700 per kg, but now priced at PKR 800 and PKR 1,000 per kg, and mutton rates increased from PKR 1,400 to PKR 1,600 per kg, eventually reaching PKR 1,800 per kg.
"The rates issued by the district administration do not suit us," a butcher in the local market said, according to Geo News.
Rising food inflation in the country has hit Pakistanis particularly hard this year. The festival of prayer and lavish food preparations has been overshadowed by soaring inflation in the country. Tightened budgets have hit Pakistan's poorest hardest.
Protesters take to streets in Israel after PM Netanyahu fires defence minister
Indian housing market stays strong despite global headwinds: Anarock Research
Popular on BI
- OpenAI CEO Sam Altman is privately reassuring developers using the company's tech that it won't compete with them beyond ChatGPT
- The crowd at the unveiling of Apple's Vision Pro headset let out a collective groan when they found out how wildly expensive it was
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- Investors and economists bullish on India's growth even as World Bank trims FY24 GDP outlook
- Top 5 Places to visit in Mahabaleshwar
- Former TCS CEO Rajesh Gopinath got a 13% pay hike last financial year
- Indian MMA fighter Angad Bisht to defend Flyweight title on July 1 — All you need to know
- Samsung Galaxy F54 5G: A top specs phone under Rs 30,000 but with fast charging still a miss