Girl Scout cookie prices are increasing as even the iconic sweets cannot escape inflation
- Girl Scout cookies in some areas are increasing from $5 to $6.
- One New York troop said it was raising prices to "combat rising production and material costs."
Girl Scout cookies will go on sale again soon, but this year, people in some regions might find them more expensive than they have been in the past.
The cookies that are typically sold at $5-per-box will be increased to $6 in some areas this year, including New York and Massachusetts, CBS News reported.
Girl Scout cookies have gradually increased in price since 2014, when they were sold at $4-per-box, due to inflation's impact on the cost of ingredients, the report says.
New York State Girl Scout chapter, Girl Scouts Heart of the Hudson, told parents in an email that it was raising the price of cookies this year to "combat rising production and material costs," according to CNN.
"We expect our neighboring councils to announce similar increases in the coming weeks and months," the email said.
A report from the US Department of Commerce on Friday showed that prices rose 0.4% from July to August, mostly due to a 10% spike in gas prices, according to The Associated Press.
The Girl Scouts' national office did not immediately return Insider's request for comment. But a spokesperson for the organization told CBS that local Girl Scout councils set cookie prices based on "several factors."
"In some instances, councils are faced with the tough decision to raise the prices, though prices have remained steady in many areas for a number of years," the spokesperson said according to the report.
Some of the Girl Scouts' newer cookie flavors like "S'mores" and "Toffee-tastic" already had a $6 price tag before the recent increase, according to CBS.
- Resilient India to outperform most global economies in FY24, says Client Associates
- Embrace the winter warmth: Unveiling the benefits and uses of ginger
- Unveiling the impact of Flipkart on innovation and growth in seller success stories
- PM Modi moves to increase Jan Aushadhi Kendras, launches Drone Didi Yojana
- Arijit most streamed singer in India in 2023; Taylor Swift dominates global chart