GOP Rep. Paul Gosar spread a baseless transphobic rumor that the Uvalde school shooting suspect was a 'transsexual leftist illegal alien'
Paul Gosarhas been repeating misinformation about the suspect in the Texas school shooting.
- Gosar tweeted that the shooter was a "transsexual leftist illegal alien."
Following Tuesday's mass shooting at a Texas elementary school, Rep. Paul Gosar, an Arizona Republican, spread a false and transphobic claim that the suspected shooter was a "transsexual leftist illegal alien."
As of Tuesday evening, the GOP representative has not commented on his tweet, which was deleted about two hours after being published.
This false claim has been proliferating on social media with photos of a transgender person unrelated to the attack. The images appear to have been taken off the Reddit account of a transgender artist.
Among the social-media accounts that shared such images is a Facebook page called "North Florida Patriots."
The page has since corrected its post, with its operators stating that they "won't be lectured" by people looking to make the shooting a political issue and turn it into a "gun grab."
Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas has identified the suspected shooter as an 18-year-old male who lived in the
He also donned body armor for the attack and was shot dead by a border-patrol agent who rushed into the school without waiting for backup, a law-enforcement official told the Associated Press.
According to CNN, the suspect worked the day shift at a local Wendy's and was described by the restaurant's evening manager as "the quiet type" who didn't socialize with other employees.
- More than $100,000 raised for loyal Burger King employee of 27 years in GoFundMe campaign after video shows him getting 'goody' bag as reward
- 'Get your boy Elon in line:' Former NASA official says she was ridiculed for supporting SpaceX in new memoir
- India is betting on casinos, online games and horse races to fill its coffers
- Best voltage stabilizers for home in India
- Asus teases the ROG Phone 6 gaming phone — confirmed to feature IPX4 splash-resistance
- Supercomputers are faster and more powerful — but need to be more energy-efficient
- Best hair removal cream for women in India
- Sensex, Nifty maintain 3-day streak, rally by nearly 1%