Here are the major events that have been cancelled due to the outbreak of the coronavirus so far
Jay Janner/Associated Press
- Events are being canceled and postponed around the globe to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus, which originated in Wuhan, China, and has killed at least 3,900 people and infected more than 111,000.
- South by Southwest (SXSW), an annual media festival in Austin, Texas, was canceled on March 6 due to the outbreak.
- Many other noteworthy events, from conferences to festivals to sporting events, have been canceled or postponed because of the coronavirus, including Facebooks's annual F8 conference and the World Athletics Indoor Championships.
- Here's a round-up of major events that have been canceled or postponed because of the coronavirus outbreak so far.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
This is a developing story, check back for updates.
SXSW was cancelled on March 6 over concerns about the spread of the coronavirus.
Adobe cancelled its annual live summit because of growing concerns about the coronavirus. Instead, the entire event will take place online.Advertisement
REV'd Up Media Summit will also take place online to prevent the spread of the virus.
HIMSS, a health-technology conference in Orlando was also canceled.Advertisement
Several major corporate conferences have been canceled or postponed because of the outbreak, including F8, Facebook's annual conference for developers. F8 is Facebook's biggest event of the year, and it's set to be replaced with local events and live-streamed content.
Facebook also canceled its annual Global Marketing Summit in San Francisco, which was supposed to host 5,000 people.Advertisement
The Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, which is the biggest smartphone conference of the year, was canceled after major companies including LG, Amazon, Sony, Ericsson, Facebook, Nvidia, MediaTek, Sprint, and Vivo pulled out of the event because of the coronavirus outbreak.
Workday's annual internal sales conference is going to be a virtual event, as the in-person conference was canceled due to the outbreak.Advertisement
The Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Fransisco was canceled because of the outbreak after major companies like Sony and Microsoft pulled out of the event.
EmTech Asia, a conference in Singapore about business and technology, has been postponed to August because of growing concerns about the coronavirus.Advertisement
Google News Initiative Global Summit, Google's annual news conference, was canceled because of the outbreak.
The Trump administration postponed the ASEAN Summit in Las Vegas, which connects the leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian nations.Advertisement
Shopify canceled its annual developer conference, Unite, because of the outbreak.
Semi, which is a global organization that includes companies that are vendors of semiconductor production systems and materials, canceled its Semicon conventions in Korea and China due to concerns about the coronavirus.Advertisement
It's not just conferences that are getting canceled and postponed — Tokyo's famous cherry blossom festival was canceled because of the outbreak ...
... and so was Okinawa's Azalea Festival.Advertisement
Ultra Music Festival, which takes place in July in Miami, was also cancelled due to growing concerns about the coronavirus.
Venice authorities canceled the last two days of the historic Venice carnival because of the outbreak.Advertisement
Several St. Patricks Day parades across Ireland were canceled due to the outbreak.
Several fashion shows for Paris and Milan's fashion weeks were canceled, including Giorgio Armani's.Advertisement
Meanwhile, the Shanghai fashion week will still go on, but instead of in-person with a live audience, the event will be live-streamed online because of concerns about the coronavirus.
The outbreak is affecting sporting events too. Formula One's Chinese Grand Prix has been postponed because of the outbreak.Advertisement
The Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) canceled three tournaments in Asia because of concerns about the coronavirus ...
... and the Professional Golf Association (PGA) Tour Series-China was canceled altogether.Advertisement
Similarly, the World Athletics Indoor Championships will be postponed until 2021 because of the outbreak.
The Dalai Lama has canceled all upcoming public events indefinitely because of the outbreak.Advertisement
- Rupee slips 5 paise to 74.98 against US dollar in early trade
- Instagram begins testing 'Shops' feature with select users
- Man who returned from India, tested positive for COVID-19 escapes isolation to go shopping in NZ
- India's COVID-19 caseload increases to 7,42,417
- We are trending well above the median time spent by video viewers in India amongst all apps: Issac John, Discovery