Hundreds of American Airlines flights have been canceled or delayed this weekend because of bad weather and staff shortages
- Almost 1 in 5
American Airlinesflights on Saturday were canceled.
- The company said bad weather and staff shortages were to blame.
American Airlines has canceled or delayed hundreds of
Throughout the weekend so far, the airline canceled close to 1,000 flights.
FlightAware, an aviation tracking tool, showed that 541, or 20%, of the airline's flights, were canceled as of 11 p.m. on Saturday. Another 401 flights were delayed.
On Friday, FlightAware noted that the 342 American flights were canceled and 737 were delayed.
In a statement to Insider, American shared a letter to staff from Chief Operating Officer David Seymour that said high wind gusts on Thursday cut capacity at the airline's largest hub in Dallas-Fort Worth and crew members ended up out of their regular flight sequences, which means they weren't in the right position to catch their next flights.
FlightAware also shows preemptive cancellations for 479 flights on Sunday.
"To make sure we are taking care of our customers and providing scheduling certainty for our crews, we have adjusted our operation for the last few days this month by proactively canceling some flights," Seymour wrote.
Seymour said most customers impacted were rebooked the same day and he expects flight schedules to be more stable starting next month.
He added that around 1,800 flight attendants would return from leave on November 1 and more will be back by December 1, in addition to more than 600 new hires. Additionally, American is hiring more pilots and airport crew to help with the upcoming holiday season.
- A college is removing its vending machines after a student discovered they were using facial-recognition technology
- 11 states pay more in federal taxes than they get back - here's how every state fares
- Steve Jobs once said the best managers are 'individual contributors' who aren't interested in managing people
- Fuel your morning: Wholesome South Indian breakfast ideas for health
- Vodafone Idea shares tumble 14%, mcap erodes ₹10,806.7 cr
- National parties declare income of ₹3,077 cr in 2022-23; BJP has highest share
- Human trials may reveal efficacy of new Rs 100 cancer pill: Docs
- Multiplexes' revenue growth to dip to 15% in FY25 as OTTs crimp profit margins