Mariupol mayor says Russian forces have been 'playing with us since day one' as civilian evacuations are reportedly blocked
Mariupol's mayor said Russian forces have been "playing with us since day one," according to CNN.
- Vadym Boichenko called for more civilian evacuations from the besieged city as fleeing refugees have been blocked.
The mayor of
Vadym Boichenko said civilians need a "complete evacuation" from Mariupol, but busses attempting to move fleeing Ukrainians haven't been able to leave.
"This game is played every day. A cynical game like, 'Yes, we are ready. You can drive there,' but in fact, it does not work," Boichenko said during a TV interview on Monday, according to CNN.
He added: "Our heroic drivers under the fire are trying to reach the places where Mariupol residents can be picked up, and they are waiting with the hope that they will have such an opportunity. But the Russian Federation has been playing with us since day one."
It's unclear exactly how many civilians have been killed in Mariupol since the Russian invasion began on February 24 — the United Nations said on Monday there have been "high numbers of civilian casualties," but collecting and verifying information has been difficult.
The UN said it recorded at least 1,119 civilian deaths and 1,790 injuries so far.
Multiple ceasefire attempts and efforts by the Russian government to get the city to surrender have all failed. Efforts to set up humanitarian corridors to allow civilians to escape the destroyed city have also been unsuccessful.
Still, the city's mayor said he is hopeful that many of the tens of thousands of people who still remain — unlike those who escaped before the invasion, during the siege, or who were deported to
"Our most important mission today is to save every life ... And there are hopes that we will succeed," Boichenko said, according to CNN, adding that Mariupol is "in the hands of the occupiers."
Russia's advance on Ukraine has largely stalled across multiple fronts, as its defense ministry said Russian forces would focus on eastern Ukraine's Donbas region.
- 911 dispatchers say skiers are accidentally setting off Apple's new crash-detection technology without realizing, triggering emergency calls
- The rally in stocks will trick investors into thinking the bear market is over, but there's still a case for the S&P 500 to fall another 26% next year, Morgan Stanley's Mike Wilson says
- Adani may be the richest Indian but Ambani’s RIL retains the top spot on Hurun's list of most valuable companies
- Indian markets open marginally lower amid weak global cues – PB Fintech, Maruti Suzuki, Tata Motors, M&M, Bajaj Auto and other stocks in focus
- 234-year-old company EID Parry is only a tad more valuable than year-old unicorn GlobalBees
- Here are the best apps and games on Google Play in India 2022
- Top 10 companies with the highest net profit in India as per Hurun 2022 list
- Rupee gains 8 paise to close at 81.22 against US dollar
- Dharmaj Crop IPO
- Reliance Jio
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- tata Consumer
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- VerSe Innovation Company
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World