Memphis councilman breaks down in tears over bodycam footage of the beating of Tyre Nichols: 'This wasn't supposed to happen'
- A Memphis city councilman told CNN the beating death of Trye Nichols "cannot go unaddressed."
- In an emotional interview with Don Lemon, chairman Martavius Jones wept over the 29-year-old's death.
In an emotional interview with CNN's Don Lemon, Memphis City Council chairman Martavius Jones broke down in tears over the death of 29-year-old Tyre Nichols, saying "this wasn't supposed to happen."
Bodycam footage released Friday night revealed police interactions with Nichols, who had been pulled over in a traffic stop, including the brutal beating that ultimately killed him. The five officers involved in the incident have been charged with second-degree murder.
"Don, we have to do something," Jones told Lemon in the clip, which has since gone viral on social media. "Not that we were immune to anything, but this wasn't supposed to happen in our community. This was a traffic stop, it wasn't supposed to end like this."
—Shannonnn sharpes Burner (PARODY Account) (@shannonsharpeee) January 28, 2023
Jones was so overcome with emotion in the interview that he was unable to speak, breaking down in tears over the violent footage that showed Nichols being repeatedly kicked, beaten with batons, and electrocuted with a taser. The footage prompted nationwide protests over the brutality of the officers involved.
"We gotta do something," Jones told Lemon. "You know, to think that this is my last year in office. We have to build a better Memphis. We gotta build a better Memphis for Mr. Nichols. We have to let his legacy — his sacrifice, the sacrifice that his mother will not have her son anymore — we cannot let this go unaddressed. So I hope that, well I'm sure, that my colleagues will stand with me, we're gonna have some tough conversations."
- Five planets will stage a rare spectacular event in the night sky on March 28
- Sam Altman, who was already wealthy before starting OpenAI, reportedly doesn't own any equity in the company behind ChatGPT
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- Torrent Investments not to participate in 2nd auction for Reliance Capital; Hinduja sole bidder
- Climate change threatening tea sector globally: ITA
- Over 23,000 techies lose jobs in nearly 82 Indian startups to date
- Scientists create car parts from lemons, corn, almonds and pomegranates that are better than traditional parts
- Cabinet clears dearness allowance hike by 4%