PHOTOS: New York City lights the 50,000 bulbs of the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree
- The famous Rockefeller Center Christmas tree arrived in NYC from an upstate farm 200 miles away.
- The tree's 50,000 LED bulbs were lit during a televised special on NBC.
On Wednesday night, thousands of New Yorkers flocked to see the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree light up for the first time this year.
The 82-foot tree arrived in Manhattan from upstate New York in November and it's illumination is the unofficial indication that it's Christmas time in New York City.
—Ali Bauman (@AliBaumanTV) December 1, 2022
Onlookers waited patiently Wednesday night to see its estimated 50,000 multi-colored lights and giant Swarovski crystal star light up the Rockefeller Center, but the tree attracted local attention before it was decorated.
The Norway spruce was trucked into the city on the bed of a 115-foot trailer from the town of Queensbury — about 200 miles outside of the city — and was lifted by crane to take its place in front of Rockefeller Center, according to local outlets.
The nearly 90-year-old tree will be on display until mid-January, ABC7 reports.
Those who chose to tune into the ceremonial tree lighting from home watched performances from Alicia Keys, Gwen Stefani, Blake Shelton, and more, NBC reports.
The tree may only be around for less than two months, but it still attracts around 500,000 visitors during its time lighting up the Rockefeller Center, according to a report from Habitat for Humanity.
Once the holiday season is over, the 14-ton tree will be milled into lumber and given to Habitat for Humanity, which provides homes for families in need, Associated Press reports.
- A Google engineer of 8 years says his 'spidey-senses' detected incoming layoffs — and felt 'isolated' when his 'faceless' severance email arrived
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- A Google recruiter says he discovered he'd lost his job after a call with one of his candidates suddenly disconnected
- Google may release Pixel Tablet Pro with Tensor G2 chip
- BMW launches its 3rd gen BMW X1 in India
- YouTube Music on the web gets mood filters
- Premium segment contributed 35% of overall smartphone market revenue in 2022
- US industry urges FM to rationalise, simplify direct and indirect taxes in India