Police name person of interest in DC area active shooting that left four injured, including one child
- Authorities responded to an active shooter situation in Northwest
- A police spokesperson told Insider that three adults and one juvenile were shot.
Police have named a person of interest in a Washington, DC,
The Metropolitan Police Department said Raymond Spencer, 23, is a person of interest in the shooting, which took place in the area of Connecticut Avenue and Van Ness Street in Northwest DC.
In a press briefing Friday, Metropolitan Police Department Assistant Chief Stuart Emerman said they identified Spencer as a person of interest based on social media information, and are asking him to come forward for questioning. Authorities haven't located Spencer yet.
A spokesperson for the department told Insider that the victims included two adult males and a juvenile female. Police later said a fourth victim came forward who was grazed with a bullet. Emerman said the other adults are in critical but stable condition. The child is in stable condition with a gunshot wound.
"We have units in the area conducting a search for a suspect or suspects," Emerman said. "We're still trying to determine the motive for what specifically took place here and interviewing the witnesses. If you are residing in this area we are asking that you shelter in place."
Witnesses shared video on Twitter of apparent gunshots and said there was a heavy police presence at the scene. The area is home to several schools and universities which were placed on lockdown, including parts of Howard University and the University of District of Columbia, as well as a private prep school, the Edmund Burke School.
"Unfortunately I had to look in parents' eyes who were terrified," said DC Mayor Murial Bowser during a Friday evening press conference. "The easy access to weapons has got to stop. People should not be scared taking their children to school."
Hours after the incident on Van Ness Street, another shooting occurred on 7th Street and Kennedy Street in Brightwood, injuring three adult males, a police spokesperson told Insider. However there is no information connecting the two shootings, the spokesperson said.
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- Durjoy Datta tweets about Paytm UPI LITE making payments faster and easier, fellow author Ravinder Singh responds
- A former Twitter engineer said they watched colleagues 'drop like flies' from a virtual meeting during Elon Musk's mass layoffs
- Best water purifiers to buy in India 2023
- Desk-bombing, monk mode & other emerging trends at the workplace
- Crypto exchange Binance temporarily suspends all spot trading
- Samsung unveils Galaxy F14 5G with 6000 mAh battery in India
- Haircut on cases resolved through IBC not very encouraging, says Kotak report