Police name person of interest in DC area active shooting that left four injured, including one child
- Authorities responded to an active shooter situation in Northwest
- A police spokesperson told Insider that three adults and one juvenile were shot.
Police have named a person of interest in a Washington, DC,
The Metropolitan Police Department said Raymond Spencer, 23, is a person of interest in the shooting, which took place in the area of Connecticut Avenue and Van Ness Street in Northwest DC.
In a press briefing Friday, Metropolitan Police Department Assistant Chief Stuart Emerman said they identified Spencer as a person of interest based on social media information, and are asking him to come forward for questioning. Authorities haven't located Spencer yet.
A spokesperson for the department told Insider that the victims included two adult males and a juvenile female. Police later said a fourth victim came forward who was grazed with a bullet. Emerman said the other adults are in critical but stable condition. The child is in stable condition with a gunshot wound.
"We have units in the area conducting a search for a suspect or suspects," Emerman said. "We're still trying to determine the motive for what specifically took place here and interviewing the witnesses. If you are residing in this area we are asking that you shelter in place."
Witnesses shared video on Twitter of apparent gunshots and said there was a heavy police presence at the scene. The area is home to several schools and universities which were placed on lockdown, including parts of Howard University and the University of District of Columbia, as well as a private prep school, the Edmund Burke School.
"Unfortunately I had to look in parents' eyes who were terrified," said DC Mayor Murial Bowser during a Friday evening press conference. "The easy access to weapons has got to stop. People should not be scared taking their children to school."
Hours after the incident on Van Ness Street, another shooting occurred on 7th Street and Kennedy Street in Brightwood, injuring three adult males, a police spokesperson told Insider. However there is no information connecting the two shootings, the spokesperson said.
- Bajaj Pulsar NS160, Pulsar NS200 launched in India starting at ₹1.46 lakh
- GPT Healthcare IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- Juniper Hotels shares jump over 10% after flat market debut
- Rupee turns flat at 82.89 against US dollar in early trade
- Stock market indices kick off trading day with stability, witnessing a mix of gains and losses