Reed Hastings to speak at the Business Insider Global Trends Festival
Business Insider Global Trends Festival
- Global Trends Festival is one of the world's most prestigious events which will be live from Oct 19-23.
- While nobel laureates, some of the biggest political and corporate icons will provide thought leadership, it's a great platform to network with CXOs from around the world.
- Global Trends Festival 2020 is presented by AWS.
- Get your tickets now from BookMyShow.
Business Insider is proud to announce that
Reed Hastings is the cofounder and co-CEO of Netflix, which serves 193 million people in 190 countries around the world. In 2000, the entertainment company had just 300,000 subscribers paying for access to movie rentals by mail.
Hastings grew up in Boston and served in the Peace Corps, a time that was formative to deciding to start a business, he has said in interviews and memoirs. In the early 1990s he founded Pure Software, which made products to troubleshoot software. Hastings left the company in 1997, the same year he started
Just a few months after the launch, Hastings and Randolph took a meeting with Jeff Bezos and were offered $15 million for the business. They declined. In April 2020, Netflix's market capitalization reached almost $200 billion.
According to Hastings, YouTube inspired Netflix to start offering movies online. Eventually the company moved into original programming like "House of Cards," "Orange is the New Black," "Sex Education," and other hit shows and movies.
Hear Hastings talk about the future of entertainment at the Business Insider Global Trends Festival. Get your tickets today.
Popular on BI
- Girish Mathrubootham, the son of a retired bank officer who built a $13 billion company in just 10 years
- A couple who traveled to 48 states in an RV share 17 things they would never go on a trip without
- The Taliban is bringing back executions and cutting off hands as punishment after retaking control of Afghanistan
- DC vs RR: Who will win today’s IPL match?
- We asked three spacetech entrepreneurs what it takes to enter the field and they listed out the opportunities
- Ethereum’s scaling issues strike again as TIME Magazine’s NFTs sell for 30 times their price
- Best baby swing cradle and chair in India
- China's FUD drags down Bitcoin, Ether and other cryptocurrencies yet again