Roku has acquired the rights to original content from Quibi, the mobile-video app that shut down last year after only 6 months
Rokuhas acquired the rights to Quibi's content.
streamingcompany revealed Friday that the Roku Channel — Roku's free streaming channel for airing TV, movies, sports, and news — will now be the home of more than 75 shows and documentaries created by Quibi.
- The content will be free for Roku users throughout 2021, though viewers will be shown ads. Terms of the deal were not announced.
- The deal comes less than three months after the mobile-video platform announced it was shutting down, just six months after it launched.
Streaming company Roku announced Friday that it has acquired the rights to Quibi's content following the shut-down of the short-form video platform late last year.
The Roku Channel, Roku's free streaming channel for TV, movies, sports, and news, will now be the home of more than 75 shows and documentaries created by Quibi, Roku said. The content will be free for Roku users throughout 2021, though viewers will be shown ads. Terms of the deal were not announced.
The shows and films coming to Roku star a range of well-known actors and TV personalities, including Kevin Hart, Liam Hemsworth, Anna Kendrick, and Chrissy Teigen. Roku also said that more than dozen new programs will debut on the Roku Channel as part of the deal.
"The most creative and imaginative minds in Hollywood created groundbreaking content for Quibi that exceeded our expectations," Quibi founder
Roku's deal with Quibi comes less than three months after the short-lived streaming service announced it was shutting down.
Quibi struggled to gain a foothold in the streaming industry after its launch last April. The service was intended to be used on-the-go, but the timing of its launch coincided with the coronavirus outbreak, which meant fewer people commuting and an economic downtown that may have made customers hesitant to pay for a new subscription.
And despite the roster of impressive Hollywood talent, none of Quibi's shows became major hits.
A slew of big-name investors and powerful names were attached to the service, including DreamWorks founder Katzenberg and former Hewlett Packard Enterprise CEO
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- A half-mile installation just took 20,000 pounds of plastic out of the Pacific - proof that ocean garbage can be cleaned
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons