Rupert Murdoch, 92, is getting married for the 5th time. He says he's 'looking forward to spending the second half' of his life with his fiancée.
- Media mogul Rupert Murdoch is getting married for the fifth time, at the age of 92.
- "I knew this would be my last. It better be. I'm happy," Murdoch told New York Post's Cindy Adams.
Media mogul Rupert Murdoch is giving love another shot at the age of 92.
Murdoch announced his engagement to Ann Lesley Smith, a former model, singer-songwriter, and San Francisco police chaplain, in an interview with the New York Post columnist Cindy Adams. The New York Post is one of the many publications that the Australian-born American billionaire owns.
The news of Murdoch's latest engagement comes a few months after he divorced his fourth wife, actress and model Jerry Hall, last August. Murdoch married Hall in 2016.
Murdoch told Adams that he was "very nervous" about falling in love again.
"I dreaded falling in love — but I knew this would be my last. It better be. I'm happy," he told Adams.
Smith, 66, echoed Murdoch's sentiments. Her late husband Chester Smith was a musician and broadcaster, who helped found the Spanish-language TV network Univision, per The Washington Post.
"I'm a widow 14 years. Like Rupert, my husband was a businessman. Worked for local papers, developed radio and TV stations, and helped promote Univision. So I speak Rupert's language. We share the same beliefs," Smith told Adams.
The pair met at Murdoch's winery in Bel Air, California, per the New York Post.
"She and her husband also owned a vineyard and had been in the wine business. Last year when there was 200 people at my vineyard, I met her and we talked a bit. Two weeks later I called her," Murdoch told Adams.
He added that they were both "looking forward to spending the second half" of their lives together.
They plan to get married in the "late summer" this year, Adams reported.
Murdoch's media empire includes publications like The Wall Street Journal, Fox Corp, the New York Post, HarperCollins publishers, and more. As of press time, his individual net worth was valued at $7.74 billion, per the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
Before his fourth marriage to Hall, Murdoch had three spouses — Australian flight attendant Patricia Booker, Scottish-Australian journalist and novelist Anna Murdoch Mann, and Chinese-American entrepreneur Wendi Murdoch.
Murdoch has six children from his previous marriages, several of whom have worked alongside him in running his media empire.
Representatives for Murdoch and Smith at News Corp did not immediately respond to Insider's requests for comment sent outside regular business hours.
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- 10 Must-Do activities on your next Darjeeling Trip
- Govt received ₹1,70,501 crore in April as revenue
- Shubman Gill, Sunil Narine, Virat Kohli & more: IPL man of the series winners since 2008
- Five personal finance deadlines you can’t afford to miss in June
- List of famous things to buy in Darjeeling