Scotland, Wales to offer COVID vaccine to all children 5-11
Scottish leader Nicola Sturgeon said officials have taken advice from the UK's vaccination advisory committee, although the committee's recommendation hasn't been officially published yet.
Sturgeon's statement came a day after Wales announced a similar plan to immunize younger children against COVID-19.
Scotland and Wales are so far the only two parts of the UK that have said they will offer vaccines to the entire 5 to 11 age group.
England and Northern Ireland currently offer shots to children under 11 who have medical conditions that mean they are at serious risk of complications from the coronavirus.
Sturgeon said officials have begun talking to health authorities about the best way of delivering the vaccines to children.
The four parts of the UK have moved at differing paces in administering vaccines and imposing coronavirus restrictions.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said last week that all remaining domestic restrictions in England, including the legal requirement for infected individuals to self-isolate, could be lifted within weeks.
England has already scrapped most restrictive measures, such as mandatory face masks and vaccine passports for entering nightclubs and large events.
Scotland has taken a more cautious approach. Face coverings still are required in indoor public spaces and nightclubs check vaccine passports. (AP)RUP RUP
- ‘Padman of 2022’: Shark Peyush Bansal offers founder of women’s hygiene startup PadCare a blank cheque
- Gautam Adani lost $52 billion in 6 days. That's over 3 times what Sam Bankman-Fried lost in a similar timeframe.
- A 45-year-old biotech CEO may have reduced his biological age by at least 5 years through a rigorous medical program that can cost up to $2 million a year, Bloomberg reported
- Measures in place to address excess volatility: Sebi on Adani crisis
- Revival of rural economy to take time in the absence of triggers: JM Financial
- Logistics startup FarEye lays off 90 employees, 2nd job cut in 8 months
- Vani Jayaram, the voice behind 10,000 songs, passes away at 78
- Not the first time FPO is taken back, won't affect image of the country: FM