Teen Vogue's incoming editor-in-chief has resigned after old anti-Asian tweets sparked a staff backlash
- Incoming Teen Vogue editor-in-chief Alexi McCammond is parting ways with the publication.
- Staff at the magazine condemned tweets mocking Asians McCammond posted in 2011.
- Ulta Beauty paused ad spending at Condé Nast due to the fallout from McCammond's tweets.
Alexi McCammond, Teen Vogue's incoming editor-in-chief, has parted ways with the publication after backlash from staff about years-old tweets.
"My past tweets have overshadowed the work I've done to highlight the people and issues that I care about - issues that Teen Vogue has worked tirelessly to share with the world - and so Condé Nast and I have decided to part ways," McCammond said on Twitter.
Her move to the Condé Naste-owned magazine from Axios was announced earlier in March. The Daily Beast first reported on her resignation.
-Alexi McCammond (@alexi) March 18, 2021
On March 8, 20 members of Teen Vogue's staff issued a statement condemning "racist and homophobic" tweets McCammond sent in 2011. One tweet read: "Now googling how to not wake up with swollen, asian eyes…," according to The Daily Beast.
McCammond previously issued a public and internal apology for using hurtful and "inexcusable" language on March 10, but still referred to herself as the incoming editor-in-chief of Teen Vogue.
Makeup retailer Ulta Beauty paused ad spending at Condé Nast due to the fallout from McCammond's tweets.
McCammond's tweets mocking Asians resurfaced during a surge of anti-Asian violence over the past year. Between March 2020 and February 2021, the non-profit Stop AAPI Hate documented 3,795 hate incidents, ranging from verbal harassment to physical assault.
Anti-Asian hate crimes increased by 150% in 2020 from the year prior, according to an analysis released by the Center for Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University, San Bernardino. United Nations officials said the "alarming" level of anti-Asian hate crimes could stem from former President Donald Trump's legitimization of xenophobic attacks, such as calling COVID-19 the "China virus."
Six Asian women died on March 17 during a shooting of an Atlanta-area massage parlor.
Condé Nast was not immediately available for additional comment.
- Adani Ports Q1 profits declines to ₹1,091 crore
- Unicorns and startups should prepare for a longer funding winter, says SoftBank's Masayoshi Son
- Lok Sabha passes Energy Conservation Bill to promote non-fossil fuels
- Indian government is reportedly planning on restricting Xiaomi, Realme, Vivo and Oppo from the budget smartphone segment
- Less than 50% of children able to catch up with age-appropriate learning, claims survey