Texas official sparks outrage after saying investigation into Uvalde school shooting was keeping him away from his children
- An official sparked fury when he suggested work on the Texas shooting kept him away from his kids.
- "I'm a father. I can't go home tonight and hug my kids. That hurts," Victor Escalon said Thursday.
A top Texas law enforcement official sparked outrage when he suggested that investigation work on the Uvalde school shooting kept him away from his children.
"I'm a father. I can't go home tonight and hug my kids. That hurts," Victor Escalon, the South Texas regional director for the state Department of Public Safety, said during a press conference on Thursday.
Pointing to his colleagues standing behind him, he added: "The members behind me — our family members. Their kids. It's tough. It's hard. But that gives us the motivation to move on to do good work for Uvalde, Texas."
—Jeremy Stahl (@JeremyStahl) May 26, 2022
His comments sparked fury on social media, with people calling him out for being insensitive.
"We can't hug our kids tonight because we're investigating the mass murder we didn't try to stop, sort of like those parents whose kids were murdered, is next-level chutzpah," Jeremy Stahl, a senior editor at Slate magazine, said in a tweet.
"Not being able to go home and hug your kids is not the same as not being able to EVER hug your kid again. They really don't care," one person tweeted.
—Andeigh (@A_Garcia713) May 26, 2022
"He can't hug his kids because of work. 19 families can't hug their kids because they were shot to pieces and murdered. Yeah, same thing," another person said.
—Jana Winter (@janawinter) May 26, 2022
The Texas Department of Safety did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
- Micron begins construction on $2.7 bn India semiconductor plant in 'epic' beginning
- India, Japan agree to strengthen economic cooperation including achieving progress on high-speed railway project
- India rises to No 1 in ODIs, becomes top ranked team in all formats
- Discover what's new in iOS 17: Your ultimate guide to the latest features
- Hyderabad-based ethnic retailer Sai Silks Kalamandir IPO subscribed 4.4x