The most powerful countries on earth in 2020, ranked
JOHN MACDOUGALL/AFP via Getty Images
- US News and World Report ranked countries to determine which ones are the most powerful.
- The US stays in first place this year, but other countries have changed positions amid rising global instability and political changes.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The US, Russia, and China remain the planet's most powerful countries even as other countries have seen their positions fall, according to this year's global power rankings.
The rankings, published by US News and World Report, look at how the influence of a nation, as well as its political, economic, and military power. The rankings are part of its annual "Best Countries" study, which evaluates 80 countries based on responses from 21,000 people.
These are the world's 25 most powerful nations, according to the 2020 rankings:
21. The Netherlands
11. United Arab Emirates
10. Saudi Arabia
9. South Korea
5. United Kingdom
1. United States
- US will give runway rights at NJ airport to a budget airline
- Wealth management firm White Oak Capital gets SEBI’s nod to enter mutual fund business
- IPO-bound Pine Labs raises another $100 million
- Virat Kohli to step down as India’s T20 captain, says he had ‘immense workload’ over the years
- India's bad bank gets government nod — green lights NARCL with ₹30,600 crore guarantee