The most powerful countries on earth in 2020, ranked
JOHN MACDOUGALL/AFP via Getty Images
- US News and World Report ranked countries to determine which ones are the most powerful.
- The US stays in first place this year, but other countries have changed positions amid rising global instability and political changes.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The US, Russia, and China remain the planet's most powerful countries even as other countries have seen their positions fall, according to this year's global power rankings.
The rankings, published by US News and World Report, look at how the influence of a nation, as well as its political, economic, and military power. The rankings are part of its annual "Best Countries" study, which evaluates 80 countries based on responses from 21,000 people.
These are the world's 25 most powerful nations, according to the 2020 rankings:
21. The Netherlands
11. United Arab Emirates
10. Saudi Arabia
9. South Korea
5. United Kingdom
1. United States
Popular on BI
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- As a mom, I know punishments don't work. Parents should be trying to find a connection instead.
- Sensex, Nifty slip for second day; FMCG, IT stocks drag
- Air India puts together 'huge financing deal' for new fleet: CEO
- Marine species including whales and dolphins under significant threat from noise pollution
- ITR filing: Your guide to Form 26AS and why you should check for TDS discrepancies
- A complete itinerary for your 3 days in Mount Abu