The most powerful countries on earth in 2020, ranked
JOHN MACDOUGALL/AFP via Getty Images
- US News and World Report ranked countries to determine which ones are the most powerful.
- The US stays in first place this year, but other countries have changed positions amid rising global instability and political changes.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The US, Russia, and China remain the planet's most powerful countries even as other countries have seen their positions fall, according to this year's global power rankings.
The rankings, published by US News and World Report, look at how the influence of a nation, as well as its political, economic, and military power. The rankings are part of its annual "Best Countries" study, which evaluates 80 countries based on responses from 21,000 people.
These are the world's 25 most powerful nations, according to the 2020 rankings:
21. The Netherlands
11. United Arab Emirates
10. Saudi Arabia
9. South Korea
5. United Kingdom
1. United States
- PM Modi shares image of tailor on the street using Paytm, calls it a common sight across India
- Adani Enterprises’ ₹20,000 crore FPO fully subscribed on the last day
- I was working toward a promotion at Amazon when my manager started emailing me about needing coaching. Now I'm worried about losing my job.
- All major automakers except Bajaj Auto expected to register growth in January say brokerages
- India's core sector output rises by 7.4 per cent in December
- Indian start-ups are looking at reverse flipping says Economic Survey
- This cheesecake startup refused to give up a slice of its company for a lower valuation on Shark Tank India
- SC suggest Nirav Modi's bro-in-law to give letter of authority to CBI to access offshore bank accounts