'The View' co-host Meghan McCain complained that she doesn't know when she'll be able to get a vaccine and said Fauci should be fired
- Meghan McCain complained she hadn't yet received the Covid-19 vaccine.
- She also called for the removal of Dr. Anthony Fauci from the head of Biden's Covid taskforce.
- Experts remain cautious about making recommendations around the vaccine.
Meghan McCain complained about her lack of access to the coronavirus vaccine and called for Dr. Anthony Fauci's ouster on "The View" on Monday.
McCain showed a clip of Fauci, President Biden's chief medical adviser for Covid-19, speaking with CNN's Dana Bash in which Bash asked if it would be safe for her vaccinated parents to spend time with her children. Fauci said he wasn't ready to make recommendations yet.
Noting that it had been a year since Americans had gone into quarantine, McCain went on to complain about the lack of clear messaging around coronavirus. "I want to be responsible and obviously wait my turn," she said, "but this rollout has been a disaster."
"The fact that I, Meghan McCain, co-host of 'The View,' don't know when or how I will be able to get a vaccine because the rollout for my age range and my health is so nebulous, I have no idea when and how I get it," she said, seemingly implying that her status as a television host should grant her special access to information about the vaccine.
—ArrestElizabethFromKnoxville (@KirkWrites79) February 22, 2021
Speaking directly to the camera, McCain went on to say that President Trump was to blame for much of the way the virus spread over the past year, but "now we're in the Biden administration and I, for one, would like something to look forward to and to hope for because if getting the vaccine means that just nothing changes and we have to wait another few years until everyone gets it, there's already a lot of people not getting it."
She went on to say that she believed the Biden administration should remove Fauci, apparently angered because "he can't tell me that if I get the vaccine if I'll be able to have dinner with my family."
"So I'm over Dr. Fauci. I think we need to have more people giving more opinions and honestly quite frankly, I think the Biden administration should remove him and put someone in place that does understand science or can talk like these other countries about how we can be more like these other places that are doing this successfully."
Several hours after the show aired, McCain appeared to double down on her sentiments in a tweet.
—Meghan McCain (@MeghanMcCain) February 22, 2021
When asked by Bash on Sunday when he thought things would be getting "back to normal," Fauci said that he could imagine Americans wearing masks into next year.
"You know, I think it is possible that that's the case and, again, it really depends on what you mean by normality. I don't want to be making a recommendation now on public TV," he said. "I would want to sit down with the team and take a look at that."
Experts say that people should remain cautious and vigilant, even after receiving the vaccine.
"Immunity is not an on/off switch; it's a dial," Eric Lofgren, an infectious disease epidemiologist at Washington State University, told The New York Times. "If you're below herd immunity, the virus is still happily circulating in the population and there's always a chance the vaccine isn't working for you."
The CDC recommends that people continue to wear masks and practice social distancing even after receiving the vaccine because we "don't yet know whether getting a COVID-19 vaccine will prevent you from spreading the virus that causes COVID-19 to other people, even if you don't get sick yourself."
Insider has reached out to McCain for comment.
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons