Thousands of people flocked to a South African village digging for diamonds, only to find out they were quartz
- Thousands rushed to a rural South African village last week to dig for diamonds.
- But government officials said Sunday that the stones found at the site were actually
- The value of quartz is extremely low, especially compared to diamonds, the officials said.
- The quartz found near KwaHlathi village actually has little to no value, officials said.
The hopes of thousands who rushed to a rural South African village last week in search of diamonds have been crushed, after government officials said Sunday that the stones were only quartz, which have little to no value.
According to Reuters, the
Thousands of people traveled to the village to dig for stones themselves, prompting the government to send experts to take samples for testing, ABC Australia reported.
At a media briefing on Sunday, Ravi Pillay, provincial executive council member for economic development and tourism, said that the stones found there were only quartz.
"The tests conducted conclusively revealed that the stones discovered in the area are not diamonds as some had hoped," he said, according to Reuters.
"The value, if any, of the quartz crystals is yet to be established but it must be mentioned that the value of quartz crystals is very low compared to that of diamonds."
Quartz is second only to feldspar as one of the most abundant minerals on earth, according to the BBC.
Pillay said he counted some 3,000 diggers when he visited the site, and said the diamond rush highlighted some of the socio-economic challenges of the area.
The region the quartz was found in earlier this month is one of the poorest in
The diggers remaining at the site have been asked to leave, since they are damaging the land and making it dangerous for cattle, according to Reuters.
- Elon Musk's brain-chip startup shares video it says shows a monkey telepathically 'typing'
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- Herschel Walker's son says Trump called his father for months demanding that he run, while 'everyone with a brain' begged him not to
- Data of 6 lakh Indians sold on 'bot' markets for nearly Rs 490 each
- Rate hike to affect housing demand in the mid and affordable segments, say experts
- From vaccination certificate to pornstar martini - here are top ‘how to’ Google searches in India
- Alert in south coastal Andhra for cyclone 'Mandous'
- IPL to KGF Chapter 2 to FIFA World Cup, here are the top Google searches in India in 2022
- Jio Haptik
- Gig jobs
- Sula Vineyards IPO
- Whatsapp tips
- International Roaming Plans
- RBI hikes repo rate
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Most Valuable Companies
- Most searched movies
- Kama Holdings
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World