Ukraine said Russian troops brought parade uniforms to Kyiv, expecting a quick triumph that never came
- Russian soldiers took parade uniforms with them to
Kyiv, a Ukrainian army official said.
- Oleksandr Hruzevych said it was a sign that
Russiaexpected to take the city almost immediately.
Russian soldiers advancing on Kyiv brought parade uniforms with them, seeming to expect a victory in less than two days, a Ukrainian army official said on Thursday.
The official said the soldiers left them behind when withdrawing from the Kyiv area, after weeks of trying without success to take the Ukrainian capital.
The claim was made in a briefing for media by Oleksandr Hruzevych, the Deputy Chief of Staff of the Command of the Ground Forces of the Armed Forces of
Hruzevych said that the uniforms were found in abandoned Russian military vehicles in the areas around Kyiv that were recently retaken.
"We also find some parade uniforms there, so they expected to get Kyiv in two days and then have a parade here. So we can say now that we have completely destroyed their plans."
Parade uniforms are usually bright and highly decorated. They are impractical for fighting and only worn for ceremonial events: soldiers expecting resistance wear combat gear, usually rugged and featuring camouflage.
This photo shows Russian soldiers in parade gear in Red Square, Moscow:
Military analysts said that Russia's initial strategy matched these assessments, and did not appear to anticipate the fierce resistance from Ukraine.
Insider's Sam Fellman wrote in early March that Russia's push for a "lightning" victory was centered on taking Kyiv, an objective that it was soon obvious it could not easily achieve.
After weeks of stasis, Russia over the weekend began to withdraw from around Kyiv, and Ukrainian officials said this week that it was once more in control of the whole of the Kyiv administrative region.
Hruzevych warned that Kyiv could still be hit by shelling in the city and that Ukraine was finding "sabotage groups" that Russia had left behind.
He also warned that Russia is likely to try again to take Kyiv, but said he did not know when that could happen.
- Indian startup founders celebrate Paytm’s success as company posts first operating profit
- Zookeepers were stumped when a female gibbon got pregnant while alone in her cage. 2 years later they say there was a tiny hole that she and a neighboring male used to copulate through.
- Not just LIC, 32 mutual fund houses have exposure to Adani Group stocks
- Sensex, Nifty clock gains with buying in IT and finance stocks
- Ola launches new e-scooter S1 Air, starting at ₹84,999
- India's first solar-powered electric vehicle could cut your daily transportation costs by one-third!
- Love is in the air, but so are scammers: Protect yourself from valentines day dating app frauds
- Data AI firm Tredence announces ESOP buyback worth ₹240 cr, 270 workers to benefit