You can book a penthouse suite at the boutique Henry Norman Hotel in Greenpoint, Brooklyn for less than some entry-level rooms in Manhattan - here's why it's such a great value
Alyssa Powell/Business Insider
- A converted 19th-century warehouse in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, the Henry Norman Hotel offers bright, spacious rooms at a great value, and a wonderful opportunity to explore another corner of New York.
- Though the Henry Norman offers no on-site dining, a complimentary shuttle transports guests anywhere within a mile of the hotel - something I repeatedly took advantage of.
- I stayed in a Penthouse Loft Suite with Roof Deck, which starts at a very reasonable $299 a night. Similar rooms in nearby Williamsburg would easily cost over $800 per night. Alternatively, Standard Studio Loft rooms start at $169 a night, but I think the better value is a larger suite room.
- Read all Insider Picks hotel reviews here.
When traveling to a new city, my first instinct is to stay in the center of town close to all the tourist attractions. But after a few visits, those crowded, busy neighborhoods start to look less appealing - especially if that city is New York.
For those looking to go off the beaten path or experience a new borough, the Henry Norman Hotel in the Greenpoint neighborhood of Brooklyn is an excellent option. Plus, the value is outstanding and you'll enjoy more space for your money than at nearly any hotel in Manhattan or even neighboring Williamsburg.
I stayed in a Penthouse Loft Suite with Roof Deck, which is one of the hotel's top-tier rooms with a kitchenette, seating area, and gorgeous skyline views. It was comped for review purposes, but starts at the shockingly low price of $299 per night, rising to a still-respectable $429 in higher seasons. For so much space, including a fold-out couch and room for an additional roll away bed, it's an outstanding value for families, or anyone looking to maximize their hotel experience at a reasonable price point.
Standard rooms, called Studio Lofts, run from $169 to $299 per night and still offer significant space, but with such accessible starting prices for the penthouse room or even a mid-tier suite, it's a rare opportunity to splurge while still adhering to a budget.
Though, there is a slight trade off. Greenpoint, while a true neighborhood gem, is somewhat isolated with only one subway line that does not provide direct service to Manhattan. Those looking to cross the river regularly may find themselves reliant on cabs.
That said, Greenpoint is one of my favorite neighborhoods in all of New York with its myriad thrift stores, bars, restaurants, and deeply Polish influence. With large, well-priced suites, and so much to discover within walking distance, you may rethink that Manhattan venture, anyway.
- The first impression
- The room
- On-site amenities
- What's nearby
- What others say
- What you need to know
- The bottom line
- Book the Henry Norman Hotel starting at $169 per night
Keep reading to see why I was so impressed by the Henry Norman Hotel in Brooklyn.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.
- Vijay Shekhar Sharma steps down as Paytm Payments Bank Chairman
- Goa partners with World Bank to tackle sea level rise, coastal erosion and other climate change-related hazards
- Samsung unveils Galaxy Ring with health-tracking features at MWC
- Govt may look at enhanced KYC requirements for certain class of corporates
- Sebi cautions investors against fraudulent trading platforms offering stock mkt access via FPI route