Doge meme NFT's value flies from $4 million to $220 million overnight after getting split into 17 billion pieces
Doge meme, which is the face of the world’s eighth largest cryptocurrency, has exploded in value after being fractionalised — or split into 17 billion parts.
- The non-fungible token (
NFT) was sold for $4 million in June and now it’s estimated value has ballooned to $220 million.
- 20% of the
Doge meme NFT’s 17 billion pieces were auctioned off last night, on September 2, for anyone to buy.
The most expensive meme non-fungible token (NFT), a picture of the
That’s 55 times more than how much PleasrDAO, a decentralised autonomous organisation, bought it for just over two months ago.
To be fair, the hype around NFTs has been growing rapidly during the same time. The upcoming Bored Ape Yacht Club NFT auction by Sotheby’s is expected to fetch up at least $12 million. The current highest bid, as of 4:30 pm Indian Standard Time (IST), is at $4.5 million.
According to the aggregation site NonFungible, the total number of NFT sales has exceeded 6 lakh in the last 30 days coming in at a massive $2.3 billion in value.
Doge meme NFT goes from $4 million from $220 million
According to PleasrDAO, selling of the Doge meme NFT is akin to the Louvre auctioning off stake for the common man to own a piece of the Mona Lisa. The Doge meme — also called the ‘holy grail of internet culture’ — is currently the face of Dogecoin, the eighth largest cryptocurrency in the market with a market cap of $39.35 billion.
While the NFT was split into 17 billion parts, only 20% — which comes up to around 3.4 billion — were put up for auction on September 2.
Each portion, an ERC-20 token named $DOG, is priced at 0.0000035186 Wrapped Ethereum (WETH), which is around $0.013.
The auction generated 11,942 WETH, which comes up to $44.6 million and puts the overall nominal value of the Doge meme NFT at $220 million.
According to some — like the fractionalised token platform called Fractional — that’s still at the low end of the scale. The actual value could be even higher at around $398 million.
‘X AE A-12 don’t hurt me’ — Vitalik Buterin tells Elon Musk what love is
The most expensive meme NFT ever sold will be auctioned off in 17 billion pieces tonight
Popular on BI
- I took a new job in a remote location after my divorce. There aren't many people to date, but I'm happy staying single.
- OnlyFans star Riley Reid plans to 'immortalize' herself using AI. Here's how her team built her new chatbot.
- A boomer grandma advises on how to set boundaries with millennial kids when it comes to babysitting
- India's best relaxing holiday spots for peaceful retreats
- Inter-ministerial approval board can permit demarcation of non-processing area under IT sector SEZs
- Winter wellness: 10 Amla recipes to embrace this season
- ‘Confident’ Indians might splurge on big-ticket items in 2024
- Tata Power stock zooms ahead after brokerage on upgrade