Japanese Volcano Erupts In Spectacular Fashion
The eruption of the 1,117-metre (3,665-foot) Mount Sakurajima near Kagoshima city took place around 4:30 pm (0730 GMT), Jiji Press said.
A large amount of volcanic ash fell in the northern and central parts of the city, causing a delay in train services and temporary poor visibility, forcing car drivers to use their headlights.
The eruption also resulted in a small flow of volcanic material up to about one kilometre (half a mile) from the crater, Jiji said.
It was the 500th eruption this year of Sakurajima, which is about 950 kilometres southwest of Tokyo. The eruption lasted for about 50 minutes.
- Meet LignoSat, the world’s first wooden satellite that is set to orbit the Earth by 2024!
- Bajaj Chetak Urbane electric scooter with 113 km range to hit the roads starting ₹1.15 lk
- Cyclone 'Michaung' alert in the Tirupati, Nellore, Prakasam, Bapatla, Krishna, West Godavari, Konaseema, and Kakinada of AP Districts
- Gold surges Rs 450 to hit record high of Rs 64,300 per 10 gm
- 7 best places to visit in Amritsar on your next trip