Jeff Bezos is rooting for India's Chandrayaan 2 to reach the Moon safe and sound
- Jeff Bezos, founder of
Blue Originand Amazon, has wished India 'good luck' as Chandrayaan 2attempts to land on the Moon tonight.
- Vikram, Chandrayaan 2's lander, is scheduled to soft land on the moon between 1:30am and 2:30am Indian Standard Time (IST) on 7 September, 2019.
- Bezos' plans for outer space include setting up an outpost on the Moon to mine for resources that will eventually build a bigger colony.
AdvertisementThe world is watching Chandrayaan 2 as it makes it landing near the Moon's South Pole. And so is one of the world’s richest men, Jess Bezos — the founder of Amazon and his own space company, Blue Origin.
And, he’s rooting for India to reach the Moon safe and sound.
Rooting for team India. Good luck, India! #Chandrayaan2 https://t.co/iWWSqPs4nz— Jeff Bezos (@JeffBezos) 1567793362000
Chandrayaan 2’s lander, Vikram, is scheduled to touch down near the Moon’s Pole between 1:30am and 2:30am tonight.
The primary objective of India’s second mission to the Moon is to build on Chandrayaan 1’s discovery of water.
The three modules of Chandrayaan 2 — the orbiter, the rover called Pragyaan and the lander called Vikram — are going to be looking of icy deposits that may have abundant quantities of water.
Why does Bezos care?
Blue Origin has ambitious plans for space and more. It plans plans to build habitats for humans in space, which starts with building an outpost on the Moon.
Bezos’ plan includes mining the Moon for resources through an outpost, to build large scale habitats around it.
It hence comes as no surprise that he is watching what Chandrayaan 2 can do for India and the world.
If Chandrayaan 2 is able to find water or the abundance of metals under the Moon, it would boost Bezos plans to mine for resources.
AdvertisementBezos also unveiled Blue Origin’s plans to build its own lunar lander — the Blue Moon.
Blue Origin is fairly secretive about what its upto. Bezos funnels nearly $1 billion into the company each year, normally by selling off Amazon stock.
Where and how to watch Chandrayaan 2’s Moon landing live tonight
Everything you need to know about Vikram, Chandrayaan 2's lander, as it lands on the Moon
AdvertisementHere's why Chandrayaan 2's soft landing on the Moon will be the '15 most terrifying minutes' for ISRO
Popular on BI
- I've had the new iPhone 14 for 2 weeks. I should've listened to Steve Jobs' daughter because I now regret buying it.
- China tells state banks to prepare for a massive dollar dump and yuan buying spree as Beijing's prior interventions have failed to stem its currency's worst year since 1994
- Here is a list of bank holidays in October 2022
- IISC joins hands with AIIMS Rishikesh to develop algorithm that can read brain scans to detect epilepsy
- Overlapping symptoms of dengue, Covid-19 confusing in many cases, say doctors
- Sterlite Technologies launches optical solution for 5G rollout
- NASA pushes back Artemis I Moon mission launch to November
- Auto sales jump in September: Maruti reports over a 100% jump in volumes