Google's new India industry head started out as a Bollywood star
Google Indiahas appointed digital executive and former Bollywood actor Mayoori Kangoas its Head of Industry.
- At the age of 15, Kango decided to pursue acting over joining the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) and later charted a successful career in digital marketing.
- She is popularly known for her role in the 1996 film "Papa Kehte Hain."
AdvertisementGoogle India has appointed digital executive and former Bollywood actor Mayoori Kango — popularly known for her role who in the 1996 film "Papa Kehte Hain" — as its head of industry - agency Partnership.
Kango’s LinkedIn profile mentions that the 36-year-old joined Google India two months ago. Before joining Google India, she was working as a managing director at global marketing agency Performics. She was also previously the chief digital officer at marketing and advertising agency Zenith, and led the delta search business at global agency Digitas, now part of the Publicis Groupe, according to her LinkedIn profile.
Advertisement"I am super excited to be part of Google and lead partnerships with Dentsu Aegis Network and Publicis Groupe. I am looking forward to applying my experience of over a decade in the industry in the agency realm to grow these partnerships further. It is a wonderful opportunity to be part of this incredible team and I am looking forward to the next phase of my professional life," Kango told IANS.
Although she had completely different preferences for her career during her teenage but later pursued a career in digital marketing, she told the Indian Express.
At the age of 15, she chose acting over joining the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) — a prestigious college in India for Engineering. She then made her acting debut in 1995 with the film "Naseem", based on the Babri Masjid demolition, and rose to fame with her performance in Mahesh Bhatt's "Papa Kehte Hai," which also starred Jugal Hansraj. Kango appeared in films like "Betaabi," "Hogi Pyaar Ki Jeet" and "Badal" and was also seen in TV shows like "Kaahin Kissii Roz," "Kittie Party", "Kkusum" and "Kya Hadsaa Kya Haqeeqat."
Kango subsequently moved to the US in 2003 and graduated with an MBA degree in marketing and finance from City University of New York-Baruch College.
She told the Times of India that she is often meets industry people who are surprised to see a former Bollywood actor in a corporate career and she had to prove all the people all the people in every meeting that there is no relation between intelligence and acting.
A champion for education, she recommends potential actors to finish their education before joining Bollywood.
Meet Anjali Sud, Vimeo’s CEO who used to market diapers and got rejected from every big investment bank
- Apophis, the ‘God of Chaos’ asteroid is speeding up — increasing the likelihood of it hitting Earth in 2068
- Sputnik V: RDIF seeks vaccine's speedy registration, prequalification from WHO
- Ankhi Das quits as Facebook's India public policy head
- States urged to adopt national approach: Niti Aayog on 'free vaccine'
- Analysts expect no surprises from Axis Bank in the second quarter — loan growth and collections to be slow