Income tax filing deadline for FY21 extended to December 31
- The Indian government has extended the
income tax filingreturns by three months from September 30 to December 31.
- The deadline has been extended because of technical glitches on the new
income taxportal managed by Infosys.
- The new income tax e-filing portal was unveiled in June and has been facing continuous technical difficulties ever since.
AdvertisementDeadline to file income
The government has extended the deadline because of continuous technical glitches reported on the new income tax portal handled by Infosys.
This is the second time in this fiscal that the government has extended the deadline for filing ITR. Earlier, due to the second wave of the pandemic, the ITR filing deadline was extended by two months from July 31 to September 30.
Apparently, Infosys has been receiving a certain backlash for being unable to resolve the issues. Taxpayers have been complaining on social media about glitches with the new income tax e-filing portal for several weeks now. Due to the continuous technical difficulties, the Ministry of Finance had also summoned Infosys’ chief executive officer Salil Parekh to explain why these issues have not been resolved yet.
The Income Tax department had unveiled the new income tax e-filing portal in June this year as it sought to provide a “modern, seamless experience” to taxpayers.
SEE ALSO: Ford Motor to stop manufacturing cars in India; 4,000 employees may lose jobs
Amazon Vs Future Retail: Supreme court stays Delhi High Court's verdict enforcement
Popular on BI
- Relieve constipation naturally with Indian foods: A guide to digestive health
- Less than half of JSW Infrastructure’s IPO subscribed on day 1
- Big unlisted companies may come under tighter regulatory norms
- IndianOil unveils India's first green hydrogen-run bus that emits just water
- Not comfortable with NPAs in urban co-op banks says RBI, asks lenders to focus on governance