From Simpl to Paytm Postpaid — these are the penalties on late payments on Buy Now, Pay Later schemes
- Buy Now, Pay Later schemes by e-commerce platforms may look attractive but charge you a higher amount if you miss any payment deadline.
- Suppose you took a cab ride of ₹1,500 on Ola and paid through Ola Money Postpaid. If you forget to pay the amount in the next 15 days then you will be charged ₹100 the other day.
- Online platforms like Paytm Postpaid, Ola Money Postpaid, Amazon Pay Later and Flipkart PayLater charges up to ₹600 fees if you miss any deadline dates.
AdvertisementJust like credit cards, Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL) schemes allow you to buy products beforehand and pay the total amount in installments. You must be aware of Paytm Postpaid, Ola Money Postpaid, Amazon Pay Later, Flipkart PayLater and several others.
To help you understand the steep charges by online platforms that have Buy Now, Pay Later scheme here is an example. Suppose you took a cab ride of ₹1,500 on Ola and paid through Ola Money Postpaid. Later if you forget to pay the amount in the next 15 days then you will be charged ₹100 the other day. Also, this amount will keep on increasing every cycle if you miss future deadlines.
During the last couple of years and also because of covid infused financial stress, BNPL schemes have become very popular among young who are new to the credit space. Macquarie expects the total amount of loans disbursed through such schemes to be anywhere between $45 billion and $50 billion by March 2026.
The current market is still very small — about 0.7% of all bank loans and about 2.07% of loans given by the non-banking financial companies, according to the latest data provided by the Reserve Bank of India.
While these schemes do serve the purpose of buying products on time and paying later, one should be aware about the high cost in late payments.
How does BNPL work?
- Buy a product at an online or e-commerce platform
- Select ‘Buy Now, Pay Later’ option
- Make a small down payment of the overall purchase amount
- The remaining amount shall be debited in a series of EMIs
Source: Macquarie report dated November 18, 2021
|ZestMoney||₹250+ 1% per day on late repayments|
|Simpl||₹250 per cycle default|
|ePayLater||₹100 per cycle default|
|KrazyBee||₹500+ 0.2% penalty charge per day|
|Paytm Postpaid||₹10-500 per cycle default|
|Amazon Pay Later||₹100-500 per cycle default|
|Mobikwik Zip||₹20-200 per cycle default. Plus 1% late fee after 3rd cycle|
|Flipkart PayLater||₹60-600 per cycle default|
|LazyPay||₹50-500 per cycle default|
BNPL looks attractive but is definitely not a win-win situation for consumers. These steep late fee charges indicate significant revenue for the company, said analysts at global brokerage firm Macquarie Research.
What should you do?
Educate yourself about the interest charges including processing fee, which you would be paying before you make your purchase via the BNPL option, on the total amount before buying a product through BNPL.
It is best to use the BNPL option when you are sure of paying the entire due amount before the due date.
AdvertisementSEE ALSO: OPINION: The next four-letter word taking the world of finance by storm
NTPC is hiring experienced engineering professionals with a monthly salary of ₹60,000
Zomato is now bigger than Paytm — reasons why the market is not excited about Vijay Shekhar Sharma’s vision of a superapp
Popular on BI
- Heatwave is gone and heavy rainfall, hailstorms in the next 5 days — IMD issues alert
- Retail inflation could soften by 50-60 basis points on government interventions: CARE
- Tata Steel, JSW, SAIL and JSPL will lose half of their export biz as government wages war on inflation
- Sony has announced that half of its game releases will be on PC and mobile by 2025
- Meta-owned Instagram rolls out exclusive ‘1 Minute Music’ tracks for reels in India
- Delhivery IPO allotment
- Reliance Retail
- Bitcoin Mining
- Reliance JIO
- Best Deal on Smartphones
- Unacademy offline Classes
- Hubble Space
- 5G Phones Under Rs. 20000
- Paytm Market Value
- Reliance Industries
- Ambassador Electric Cars
- Hiring in BEL
- Adani Green
- Paradeep Phosphates balance sheet
- Spam Calls in India
- Whatsapp Reaction